1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

BANZAI!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bchilstrom, Mar 10, 2004.

1. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's AWESOME Bill (y) I love seeing your work, you make it look so easy.
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Bill,that's really AWESOME WORK there,my friend (y) (y) ;I really like what you've done so far ! I'm tempted to do a Japanese sniper for my next project,any particular references that you'd recommend me to consult ? Looking forward to more SBS on the remaining 2 Japs.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Looking good.

Roc. :)
  4. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Hi Kenneth,

I would love to see you sculpt a Japanese Sniper. The later Osprey books on Japanese WWII subjects are a great, and easy to find source for reference. My friend Dave Harper was lucky enough to come by a large 10 volume series of photo books published in Japan in the 1980's. These books are a WEALTH of information on the Japanese forces from the 1930's through WWII and even a little post WWII. Photo packed with photos from the Japanese archives, many of the photos in this series I have never seen anywhere else. They serve as both inspiration and a great source of reference for how things actually appeared in the field.

Here are some samples of images from the books.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Bill :lol: Thanks for the reply to my post ! Wow,the pictures look awesome ! Any particular ones that show the typical getup of a Japanese sniper ? So far,the Osprey books are the only ones with a nice illustration of a typical sniper.Sure,if you can send me some more photos,I think that I'll be able to pull it off for my next project.Hope to hear from you soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  6. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Hi Kenneth,

The uniform of a Japanese sniper was identical to the regular infantry issue uniform. The only change would be in that the Arisaka rifle would have a small scope mounted. Japanese snipers would sometimes bind their limbs with a series of turniquets(?), so that they could take wounds and still function.

Bill
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Bill :lol: ,I'm on it now ! I'm thinking of showing the sniper in a cut-away section of a ground-level spider-hole,sighting out his next target.What do you think of the idea ? I hope to show my initial mock-up either this evening or tomorrow.Cheers !
    Kenneth :)
  8. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    That sound like a very clever way of displaying the figure. Maybe with a bit of foilage placed into his helmet net cover? Or some camo face paint. Dave Harpers father was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII. He said that some Japanese snipers wore a type of grease paint facial comoflauge of green and black. Just an idea.

Bill
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Bill,for the tip on the facial camo ;) I might just do that for my sniper figure.Wish me luck.I'll post some initial sculpt pictures soon.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  10. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    You're welcome Ken. I look forward to seeing it in progress!! :)