1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Balian of Ibelin

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 3, 2016.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Hot on the heels of the Saladin bust comes my next project, Balian of Ibelin. This bust depicts Orlando Bloom from the movie Kingdom of Heaven. My intention is to mount both busts on a single base facing each other.

Here are the first WIP pics. The helmet was sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 and then covered with a series of overlapping colours, black, gun metal, Burnt umber and finished with a gun metal wax from AK true Metals which is a rub n buff product.

I hope you like it so far.;)
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
    Mike Stevens, samson, Edorta and 14 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Geez, you are on a roll! In the time I need to figure out which piece to finish next you churn out multiple busts.... I applaud your effectiveness!
    Very much like the metal.

Cheers
    Adrian
    tonydawe likes this.
  3. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

Yes I like it. Any comment on the AK true metal wax ? Easy to use ? Downsides ? I have some but haven't tried it yet.
    tonydawe likes this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I love the AK True Metal waxes. They wash out in turps and dry quickly. When buffed they produce a very convincing and realistic metallic sheen. At present I only have four colours in the range but I've already seen enough to want the entire range.
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Top stuff Tony. The stippling technique is definitely a winner mate. Like the metals too.
    Good idea combining him with Saladin.
  6. Perseas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great start Tony! The helmet is fantastic!
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Those eyes are really piercing, and the metal is excellent.
    A great start on this superb bust.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Rough outline of the surcoat crosses. Colours not final by any means. image.jpg image.jpg
    stoffy01, arj, NickM and 2 others like this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It's turning out great tony,can't believe how quick you get through projects
    tonydawe likes this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great film and the bust is even better, Love the way the armour is done, looks superb.
    Best regards
    tonydawe likes this.
  11. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work...I've started using brass to support the busts looks sooooooooooo cool:)
    tonydawe likes this.
  12. John Howard Member

Looking really good - specially like the metalwork.
    tonydawe likes this.
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Tony, ya killin me man, ya killin me, with them incredible faces.

Would you be so kind as to stop on by for a personal 1 to 1 lesson on how to make a piece of resin look like it's gonna kick me ars? This is flippin nuts Bro, which is why I love your work. Ruck On Brother, standing by for more!

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. Man, I gotta a lot of work to do, lol.
    tonydawe likes this.
  14. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Can't wait to see the finished pair together.
    Chris.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

As you can probably see, I'm still working on texturing and colouring the surcoat.

I've attached a few reference photos from the movie to give you sense of what I'm aiming for. The maroon colour on the surcoat is hard to match up exactly, so I'm starting with a darker purple colour and will progressively lighten it and add more red until I get the colour balance right.

FullSizeRender.jpg 475b5bbb44bb198eb79ec6c12247303dfffe61ba.jpg koh_ob_zo11-8_adult_viggo.jpg
    Macca G, arj, stoffy01 and 1 other person like this.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like the weave that you're incorporating in the painting of the surcoat.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  17. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Color is not too far off, but yes, those subtle weave marks enhance the affect very nicely.

Cheers, Ski.
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. John Howard Member

Very good - and you are pretty much there with the colour match in my opinion.
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony, brilliant as usual mate. How'd you get the hammer tone on the helmet, is it a stipple effect?
    Regards
    Chris.
    tonydawe likes this.