1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Backgrounds 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by SRP, Nov 1, 2010.

1. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    A fellow planet member and friend...Joe Hudson, asked if I could put a few of his beautifully painted pieces to a background...here are a few.

Attached Files:

panzervati, Dennis and Brakeet like this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Me next????????
  3. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Just let me know Tony......
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    OK mate, I'll send you a PM if you'e sure it's not too much bother??
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    May I, the unnecessary presence that I am, say a few things which are absolutely not criticisms of the fine works here. Just a thought I've been having regarding this particular way of presenting painted figures.

It usually is the case that a rich viewing of 2D art benefits from dramatic lighting where abundant light sheds on one side of the subject (side or top). And if I may say so, some of the more original outings among this hobby's own Hall of Fame have, in my opinion, gone for this sort of selective / biased highlight. A large enough surface which might just as well be exposed to light, on the other hand, can be "blacked out".

The really surprising thing is, when artists do this on a 3D surface, not only does the result not feel weird, but all the more sensible. As difficult as I find to provide an example box art, I think Lee is a master at this.

So.... Back to this post. If we paint a kit, then at some point find it fun to do the above composition, then fine. But if we have planned the composition before painting, down to the specific picture, then could it yield a great visual impact if we actually take into account the lighting condition of the chosen background when painting?

A few great artists are already doing it, so I am absolutely not the guy coming up with this idea. But I think there is plenty of room for innovating how we present our works. Bases can be modified to make the background (a printed hard copy maybe) a much more integral part of the display, just to make its purposed referencing function that much more authentic. The painted figure and the chosen picture can do great stuff for each other and win medals on a 'No Questions Asked' basis, especially when the majority aren't concentrating on this novelty.

For example, the amateur that I am, I day-dream painting one of Young's superb Ardennes busts. We do the German Camo. How about adding to that artificial deceptive device Nature's help, in the form of rays of light being filtered onto the uniform and even face and equipments through the thick, gorgeous plantations in Ardennes? I've seen no one go for that. I am not skilled enough myself either. Would love to see one done that way.
  6. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I see what you mean Michael..paint the figure with the background in mind...say...if you planned to put a figure in a sunlit wood..then paint the relevant highlights/shading on the figure to blend in more with it's surroundings...that is a SUPERB idea that I may try one day with a figure/bust...good Idea Michael...!!!
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    There was a small vignette in Historical Miniature magazine some years back that did this. It was of Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and the Pope and his entourage examining his work, and Michelangelo giving them an earful. I believe it was based on the Charleton Heston movie "The Agony and the Ecstasy" that was about Michelangelo's and the Popes relationship. I think the vignette was from a figure show and was titled "When will it end?", which is a line from the movie, to which Charleton shouts "WHEN I"M FINISHED, YOU DAMN DIRTY APES... OK, the apes part wasn't in the movie, but you get the idea. Anyhow, all the figures and background was painted as if lit only by the candles the figures were using for light. I'm not sure how it would look in person, but it looked pretty good from the picture shown. I think this is somewhat related to how flats are painted to appear 3 dimensional with greater depth created by the paint instead of the figure itself, and is also somewhat related to how shadow box scenes are created and painted. Its well beyond my meager skills, though, but I always liked the idea.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    It's a method used when painting flats for boxed dioramas. I'll see if I can find a photo or two.

Roger.
  9. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I can see painted on false shade/highlight looking good from a chosen angle such as a photo...but on a table in front of you...I suspect it could look weird from other angles...maybe it is something more suitable to a photograph...?
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very clever stuff here Steve - like the backdrops very much. Noted the other matters, much debate.:)
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    the backdrops are excellent.
    Make sundayevening one :( and it looks awesome. Some tweaking with the PS brush to correct but it looked great.
    (Honestly i must say that my son helped me with the brush).

Marc