"Back to the flats!"

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Normo, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gang
    I used to do a lot of "Flats" many moons ago before switching to "rounds"and I have recently picked up the brushes again to have another go
    Its a complete different discipline regarding the painting but highly enjoyable, Just ask Roger! pirate.JPG richeliu.JPG
    These two I picked up recently, to try again. I think I might have gone over the top with shading especially the pirate! but tell me what you think, dont spare the punches!
    Cheers
    John
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You've done a good job on these John and I definitely don't think you've overdone the shading, it looks good. In fact I would shade Richelieu like you have Blackbeard. :)
    I would put some higher lights on Richelieu's face too, tip of nose and top of cheekbones but that's only a small suggestion not a critique of your work.
    I've said this a few times on here already but it's worth repeating, when you think you've finished highlighting and shading leave it a day or so and go back again lighter and darker.
    I've always fancied a go at that Richelieu figure myself. (y)
  3. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Roger, good advice well received
    The Richelieu figure is an old favorite and well worth a second look
    Cheers
    John
    billyturnip likes this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done sir !

There's a whole world of unusual pieces available in this format that are wonders of engraving.
    I like your selection and style.

Paul.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I like it but I think Roger is correct and needs more highlights to give the rounded effect. Still I am no a flat painter:)
    Cheers
    John
  6. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks gents, all good feedback
    billyturnip likes this.
  7. Ulrich PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    John. I paint sometimes flats too and can only agree with Roger. Some more highlights IMO at face of Richelieu but I know that I have problems with hightlights and shades too. Red is a difficult colour for me and I have always problems with the highlights so that it look right. But I think some more contrast in the red would be great.
    I have Blackbeard in my gray army too and I like your version
    billyturnip likes this.