1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Back to Basics" Part I : Groundwork

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by gordy, Oct 5, 2003.

1. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Groundwork is like putting the icing on the cake—it’s the finishing touch to presenting your finished figure...
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kreston,
    when I read your comment I went duhhh!!!! Never thought of that. I have recieved many comments from various forums who have linked to this site and will incorporate them in the upcoming parts of the article and give them credit for theor ideas.

Guy off to work.....again
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Also, in addition to adding burnt umber to the mix I add small rocks, forest debris, tree leaves, oregano, sticks and sand into the Sculptamold. This gives you some nice embedded earthy litter into the ground. It really adds a lot of nice texture especially if you have a tree root or two sticking out.

Another cool thing is when the Sculptamold mix has been applied to the base and is about two-thirds dry if you take an X-acto and start picking holes into the hard crust you can create really distressed looking ground and with the added litter materials really looks like a churned up battlefield.
  4. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Guy,

As a beginning groundworker, your step by step instructions are a lot easier to follow than a lot of the books I've read. I'm looking forward to reading each installment & now I know how the English felt in the 19th century waiting for the next Dickens installment.

Mike
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mike,
    I will be doing the next part this weekend and have to Gordy Sat or Sun. I will also go into other aspects, one piece castings with the base attached, and pegging figures in Part III. I hope to also go into adding tall grass, etc to customize an individual piece too.

Guy
  6. Eagle New Member

Very good article !!

The middle version isn't Dutch but Swedish, so the flag is OK, but the words are wrong :lol:
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Whot?

Doesnt everyone speaks swedish these days???? ;)
  8. FirstMass New Member

United-States
    The link to the basing article is no longer working. Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

Brian