1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Back in action after 7 years

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by No Remorse, Mar 5, 2015.

1. No Remorse Active Member

Hey all

I am just coming back into the hobby after a 7 year hiatus, due to developing RSI in my left shoulder amongst other things.

I used to paint mainly gaming miniatures, but with my return I am going to switch my focus to historicals which is where my interests truly lay. This seems like to spot to meet some great historical artists and gather advice on improving my skills.

Keep Smiling
    Ja
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ja,

Then let me welcome you to a great site, that is packed with help and advise!... If there is something you don't know, or are cautious about, we are all here to help each other. ;)

Which historical element tickles your fancy, ??

Regards,

Mark
  3. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome back. Your story sounds much like mine (though swap rsi for children). You'll find everything you could need here.
  4. No Remorse Active Member

Thanks! I pretty much run the gambit from Roman to WWII, I am a huge history nut but I am especially fond of anything Celtic/Gallic. I am really looking forward into exploring more about the historical side of miniature art.
  5. No Remorse Active Member

Yeah kids too :p Youngest just turned 4, old enough to know if she dumps a bottle of paint out, there will be consequences lol. I had tried to set up a studio before, when she was two, that quickly went away after the "glue" incident.
  6. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yup. My youngest is 4 as well. Got them both painting already ;)
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the Planet!

Prost!
    Brad
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ja,

Welcome back to the hobby and to PF .....

Looking forward to seeing your work ...try busts ( guess what I paint!!)

Whatever you paint ENJOY it ...lots of talent here and lots of good advice and help only a question away!

Nap
  9. No Remorse Active Member

I will definitely be trying a bust at some point, you will first on the list of people I ask for advice ;)

Great advice for sure! I used to do commission work, which is how I ended up with RSI in the first place (painting 10 - 14 hours a day will do that). This time though its all about the joy of painting, not trying to cram out miniatures I care nothing about. Again this is why I am turning to historicals, I love the subject matter and the scuplts are all so much more refined.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome Back Ja,
    It was only a commercial break between the two movies !

I hope you enjoy this main feature, skill and knowledge is tucked away all round the forum,
    Enjoy

Paul
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ja,
    Welcome aboard, if you can get over the glue incident then you can put up with our collective sense of humour!!!! You are certainly in the right place for help and advice, I bet you will be a pretty competent painter after painting in marathon sessions.
    cheers
    Richie
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. No Remorse Active Member

I find being insane helps a lot with mini painting, so I have a great sense of humor, in fact if I stop laughing then people start to walk away slowly :p

You can check out my first "comeback" mini in the vBench, any advice is welcome as long as it comes in the form of compliments and general applause :)
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ja,
    Just had a look at your piece and......
    2012-09-22 10.49.56.jpg 2012-09-22 11.14.50.jpg
    cheers
    Richie
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hello Ja, welcome to planetFigure, hope you enjoy the art and the company:). I just looked at your Vercingetorix on V-bench, it's a lovely figure anyway and you've done a helluva job on that face(y). Now you're painting for you, you'll have the time to enjoy experimenting.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    peedee likes this.
  15. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi and welcome, I'm a sprog myself but the info here is phenomenal and they are very nice people:)
    garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I'm a bit late in welcoming you to the party, but Welcome to Planet Figure Ja.
    peedee likes this.
  17. No Remorse Active Member

Better late than... no, your right, your damned late what took you so long :p
    peedee likes this.
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Greetings to ya, and welcome to the Planet (y)!

Joe
    peedee likes this.
  19. No Remorse Active Member

Thanks for the great welcome everyone.

It is terrific to find such an active and friendly community, hopefully you will be seeing lots from me around here!

Keep smiling :)
    peedee and garyhiggins like this.
  20. swralph A Fixture

Hello Ja and welcome to PF.
    Ralph.