1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

B&W Indian Chief

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bert Takken, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    So now and then I'm lurking on this forum, and look at the marvelous figures showed. It's the last couple of years very quiet on my table for what the figurepainting is meaned. But I had a crazy idea and worked that out.
    I can't remember I've have mentioned my little colourblindness, but I've find out a very good cure.

Well, I will post some pics so you can see what I mean
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Ow, maybe I had warned you befor showing the pics that there's nothing wrong with your screen, I've painted it in black and white, just the get the feeling again. It looks like an easy job, but I had really some problems with mixure I should use. I painted it in oils, I suppose that painting it in acrylics will be a more harder job

BertUS
  2. Arno Riedel New Member

United-States
    Bert, nice to see another "Takken" after quite a time.
    And what a comeback.
    Tip my hat.

Cheerio, Arno
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I really like what you've done here Bert. Are you going to do some more B/W pieces?

Roger.
  4. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Arno

Roger, I'll for sure do some more figures in B&W and I'll try to do some more unexpected but very common effects. A kinda brother in crime, Rene Duret, had unwanted given me some hot ideas, but I needed some time to find out how to do it on a kinda realistic way
    BertUS
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That sounds interesting Bert. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do next :)
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Bert,
    really effective and an interesting departure.
    I think you're right that acrylics will be harder but I suspect that the
    end result with acrylics could be spectacular.
    I remember someone did a Humphrey Bogart bust a few years ago in a similar style.
    Regards
    Derek
  7. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    thanks Derek

I know, the idea was born in my head, but absolutly not unique. I remembered a while ago something about a vehicle painted in B&W and I was wondering how it looks on a figure.

For the acrylicpart...................well. I'm to stupid to get the technique from my brain to my fingers "LOL" but I'll like to see someone will try it in acrylics

BERTUS
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks like your lost the colorblindness with this one.
    Looking very good Bert.

Marc
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Good looking figure in B&W Bert!

Marcel.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Bert,
    A very nice different style and great rendition.
    Cheers,
    John.
  11. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
  12. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Hey Bert,

superbly done, as I mentioned elsewhere.
    This way you succeed in showing how to find versatility in one's shortcomings.
    Still, to enhance the effect in this one, I think you should use a slightly colored background when presenting it.
    Ofcourse it's obvious on a showingtable next to all the colored ones...
    And this one defenitely deserves a well chosen technique of photography.
    No flash by any means!

I hope we keep on feeding each others' thoughts, Bert.

regards,

René
  13. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Rene
    But I'll display this figure pure on B&W background, thats what I had in mind when I starting with painting this bust. People should and could use there imagination to see the colors they want. With a coloured background, this psychologic effect will be blown away

Man, this it hard to explain in englisch
  14. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    You are doing great Bert...

my problem is that I understand your English lines better than your Dutch :)

and you are right in your point of view regarding the display of the buste.
    I also know you are driven by imagination and fond of experimenting, just like I am.

But I still think a lot of your excellent works are dominated by lack of subtile photograpy.
    And that's a pity, because I've seen them in real :D

I hope you succeed in performing dazzling creations which are conceived of the most unthinkable effects.

René