1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Auto Desk Project Pinocchio

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by mash3d, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mash3d Member

I'm just posting this in case it might be of any use to anyone.

http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/pinocchio
    Project Pinocchio is a technology preview tool from Autodesk that lets you select a character, define facial features, hair styles skin color and limited clothing.
    The character can then be downloaded with a built in rig for animation and posing in maya or 3ds max.
    You can then export the posed model as an obj file for sculpting in Z brush , mud box etc.
    It could be useful for some one just as a rough starting point for a figure or even as a reference.

The preview is free at the moment until December 31st. Not sure what they are going to do with it after that. No word yet if you'll ever be able to upload clothing or gear that you build yourself.
  2. Jerry_Groschke Active Member

Germany
    if this the future of character creating i guess i looking for an other hobby :confused:
    housecarl likes this.
  3. mash3d Member

Yeah the figures are very "poserish" looking at best.
    If they allow people to upload thier own models and rig them then it could be useful.
  4. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Mash, you can rig your own figures in DAZ3D or Blender. You don't need to use one the autodesk characters. I think this is just a way for them to make money off their print sales. They also offer an app that I use called meshmixer. In mesh mixer they have parts of a human body you can add together, but those are also poor and its difficult to actually use. I can create a basic character in sculptress from a sphere faster than I can build one in Meshmixer.