1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Austro Hungarian Alpine trooper 1916 from TFB Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Steve headley, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Steve headley A Fixture

Hi all here is the new Bust from TFB Miniatures. It’s a Austro Hungarian Alpine trooper 1916 it’s in 1/9th scale and was sculpted by Offo.

It’s based on a real Alpine trooper from the time is name was Johann “Schwanni” Forcher, he was a 47 year old Shoe maker and Mountain guide, he was from Sexten in the Tyrol.

The small group of troopers attacked the Schimpkekuppe (Aka Panettone 2,718m ) in the Dolomites with his 6 men he lost 1 man in the attack and captured 42 Italian Alpinists and 2 officers.

On November 19th 1916 he received the Gold medal for Bravery from the Archdukes Eugine and Fredrick.

He fought till the end of the war and returned to Sexten and died in 1948 at the age of 79. He was a member of the local fire department for 60 years.

It’s a great back story and is a pleasure to bring him out in model form.

The bust is available to pre order from Saturday on the TFB Miniatures website www.tfbminiatures.co.uk

Thanks for looking

Steve

TFB Miniatures Team

AB84A840-3807-42C8-89CC-08950AE60626.jpeg

3CEE2787-130E-431F-87F9-7683FF9A6BA1.jpeg 5C2447C3-AF87-4CD1-B4A4-3874205EBE9E.jpeg 4D01F1B2-0580-42D2-A002-C358EFFC6529.jpeg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

That's come out well by Offo , nice to see it completed , be nice to see the actual resin casting/ parts

Intrigued about the straps at the back ....nice touch

Found this of the man

Put me down for one

Thanks for sharing

Happy releasing

Nap

IMG_7629.JPG IMG_7630.JPG
  3. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    That is one hell of a lovely bust. Good to see, that some more unusual subjects make it onto the market. I wish you well with this approach.

Karl
    offo likes this.
  4. Steve headley A Fixture

Hi Karl thank you for the kind words. It was a idea from one of our painters Costas Rodopoulos he sent us the idea and said the back story was good and you don’t see meany Austro Hungarian subject and they seem to be over looked, so we went with it. And I have to say it’s come out so very well indeed.

I have to say it’s good to do a different subject from time to time. We have tested the water with a few projects and it’s worked so we will continue to do the same in the future.

King regards

Steve

TFB Miniatures Team
    offo and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks

I was wondering ref the leather equipment that's on this particularly the rear straps so I asked Pavol .......his references

This is a WW2 Hungarian uniform but with full WW1 equipment and straps

IMG_7646.PNG

There's also this painting

IMG_7647.PNG

A lot of time spent by the sculptor searching so it's much appreciated

Nap
    offo likes this.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    For those (Nap?), who want to add a bit blink-blink to the guy...:

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martín

Thank you for details ....I have plans for the bust .......have you a better picture of the round badge ...obviously a Alpine flower but be good to have more info

It's interesting the pictures have what looks like the Austro Hungarian eagle on the collar rather than the alpine flower Edelwiess

Couple of good references www.warhats.com

IMG_7648.JPG IMG_7650.JPG

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. JackG Active Member

Canada
    Great looking sculpt!

Am guessing the finished product represents a generic Alpine trooper as the collar insignia has been replaced with the edelweiss flower? In the period photos, the gentleman in question is sporting the Tyrol eagle on the collar tabs which denotes Tyrolese Standschützen.
    offo, akaryu and Nap like this.
  9. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    This book by Verlag Militaria should answer most uniform questions.
    Austrian alpine.jpg
    Unfortunately, I gave mine away some years ago, but maybe other pF members have a copy gathering dust somewhere?
    JackG and Nap like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dr B

That's a mighty fine book , I have all in the series ......very heavy books but amazing references which I'm happy to have in the " groaning " bookcases

Happy Hunting for the book

Nap
  11. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Johann "Hans"Forcher belonged to the Standschützenbataillon Sillian, 3. Kompanie Sexten, the same unit as the legendary Sepp Innerkofler, therefore the Tiroleradler collar badge is the only correct one.

Oberjäger Forcher obtained the Silver Medal for Bravery 1st class on 14 July 1915, the Gold one in November 1916.

For more information see Wolfgang Joly "Standschützen, Die Tiroler und Vorarlberger k.k. Standschützen-Formationen im Ersten Weltkrieg", Universitätsverlag Wagner, Innsbruck.

Berg Heil,

Pierre
    Dr Bison, Nap and JackG like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    From Pavol

IMG_7651.PNG

IMG_7652.PNG

Nap
  13. Steve headley A Fixture

Hi all just to let you know I’ve made a bit of a mistake with regards to the Bust. I thought it was based on the Trooper I gave the back story to but I have since been informed that it’s a generic Alpine Trooper and that it’s not the said gentleman. This is totally my fault. I thought it was as the photo we used as an example and then we were given the back story of the person which fitted so my mistake.

This does not detract from the fact that the bust uniform and equipment are correct it’s just the face and the badges my differ from the photo.

But it’s still a tribute to the Austro Hungarian Alpine troopers who fought in WW1. Once again thank you for your understanding with this mix up.

Steve

TFB Miniatures Team
    JackG, Nap, akaryu and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Thanks for posting , irrespective of a slight issue it's a great sculpt from Offo , plenty of opportunity to paint as a generic Alpine soldier or convert as the purchaser sees fit ....

Look forward to seeing my resin

Happy benchtime to all

Nap
    offo and akaryu like this.
  15. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    For a generic Austrian Gebirgsjäger it is an excellent sculpture and there is an abundance of inspiring literature and information on the Gebirgskrieg.

Pierre
    Steve headley, offo and Nap like this.
  16. Francisco Member

Not really my kind of bust, but it`s a great piece!
    Steve headley and offo like this.
  17. Steve headley A Fixture

Hi Pierre thank you for the kind words.

Francisco appreciate your comment thank you.

Steve

TFB Miniatures Team
    Nap likes this.