1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Austrian Batthyányi Dragoon Seven Years War

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Oct 31, 2012.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This is a 54mm flat figure from http://www.fredericus-rex.de and my first completed figure using oils.
    I used paints from the water mixable Artisan range by Winsor & Newton, except for some Burnt Umber because they didn't have that one in the art shop so I had to use "real" oil paint. :D

I think the results speak for themselves compared with my previous work using acrylics and apart from the Leuthen set I'm slowly working my way through, where I will continue using acrylics for the sake of consistency, I think I've painted my last flat with acrylic.

Roger.

Austrian Batthyányi Dragoons.jpg
  2. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi roger

oh you have found the way to the only and right color :LOL:, thats fine !

For the first in oil, he looks good . But you can more blending !

Cheers

Hendryk
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Hendryk, the blending will come with practice..... hopefully but I still think it's better than anything I managed using acrylic paint.

Roger.
  4. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi roger

yes it is - It is a question of technology, you'll have no layers of oil, because you can dazzle light and shade into each other. Just make sure this is the brush to dry veneer.
    This sounds harder than it is, you'll see.
    Cheers

Hendryk
  5. Tarracus A Fixture

The horse crest, the shine on the leather of boot, the NM golds...All is excellent, Roger!(y)
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :LOL: I initially only bought three tubes a couple of weeks ago to see if I could use them to paint armour and this is the result.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you very much Gerard. :)
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    That is a real beauty Roger and welcome to the oily brigade.
    There are some very fine details here; grass and moustach. Did you add them or has the casting process moved on that much, assuming it is white metal?
    Great work mate I like it.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Keith. The moustache is part of the casting and the grass is from Fredericus Rex, I used it to disguise the footpiece and add a bit of realism.

Roger.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Rodger,

The best yet of your flats to date that I've seen you Post. I do believe th sculpt has a lot to do with your results as well.

Best regards
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Mike, yes you're right Fredericus Rex flats are all very well designed and engraved which helps a great deal.

Roger.
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

It really worked Rog!
    Cheers,
    Keith
    billyturnip likes this.
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice painted flat with the waterbase oils.

Marc
  14. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Roger, nice to see you have come over from the "Dark" side-this looks a very nice piece of work and you will find blending in Oils a lot easier than hiding transitions in Acrylics.

Keith
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marc.
    Cheers keith, Like I said in an earlier post I need more practice but already I can see blending is much easier with these paints.

Roger.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    To me it looks like he's got a peg leg and it may just be the lighting in the photo. Perhaps tone back the highlight on the boot in general and have its highest highlight at the top of the boot cuff and decrease as you go downward. Other than that I really like what you've accomplished (y)!!

Joe
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Joe, re. the leg, I never noticed that but now you've pointed it out it's glaring at me..... I'm on it!

Roger.
  18. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    This was really your first in oils, Roger? Well done, then, I'm still back at the "pushing oil around with brush" stage.

Good eye, Hendryk, though, and I agree, now that he pointed it out, the highlights could blend/transition more. That's something I'm having a little trouble with, I wind up mixing the colors on the border too much.

But I especially like the face, and his coat and the brass work. Yes, well done!

Prost!
    Brad
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks very much Brad.
    I've got two or three underway with oils also but this is my first completed one. I now know what area of my painting needs improving upon so I can work on it.

Roger.
  20. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Missed this thread, a great Finnish Roger !

( Is that the horses fifth leg I see ?! )

Carlos