1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Australian Sniper Afghanistan, 1/6th scale Naked Army bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 11, 2015.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments Mike. As my Mum would say "It's not a race you boys".:p

I can't help but seem a fast painter compared to you, but when I see the extreme levels of detail you put into your busts, I feel like I need to slow down and take more time to paint the details into my busts.

I think I'll keep the face camo off this figure, but I will add some dirt and grime stains and some sweat marks on the skin to match the overall weathering effect on the bust.

To illustrate my point about the need for snipers to adapt their gear and their weapons to the variety of different terrains and topographies within Afghanistan, I've attached some reference pics of Australian snipers in Afghanistan to illustrate the high degree of personalisation that snipers apply to their camouflage.

As always, there's no substitute for research.;)
    2d195j5.jpg 3e7956c7.jpg 6835212.jpg CPLAvery_DSCF0166_460x306px.JPG P09971_089.jpg

Attached Files:

Jamie Stokes, Joe55 and Wings5797 like this.
  2. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Great decision with the rifle Tony. Love these modern figures and what you guys do with them.
    Looking forward to further progress. The only disappointment will be is that it will be finished soon and no more instalments.

Still look forward to your future work.
    Peter.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great progress Tony.
    Your brushwork never fails to amaze and thanks for sharing some of your research material.
    All the very best,
    Keith
  4. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Great stuff, I love all the different camo patterns. One thing I noticed on the rifle... it seems like the Harris bipod has some sort of a small casting block which connects it to the suppressor? Or am I just seeing things?

Mario
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Damn!

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

That's one sharp looking trooper Tony!

Joe
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments fellas. I've made some more progress over the weekend and will show some pics.
    Mario, yes the bipod is cast as one piece with the barrel.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Gee Wiz, just when ya thought it couldn't get any better, dang! What an incredible paint job Tony!

Cheers, Ski.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    OK, I'm calling this one done. I've weathered the bust by applying a combination of earth colours pastels mixed with white spirits over most of the yowie suit, webbing and clothing and also a light dusting over the face and hair. The final step was to add some gloss to the eyeballs and a few dabs of gloss on the face to replicate sweat beads.

Final pics attached. Sadly the camera will never be able to pick up all the little details that go into a large scale bust like this, but hopefully the overall look is right. Thanks to everyone who has commented on the WIP pics so far, and I hope you enjoy these final pics.
    IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2324.JPG IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG IMG_2327.JPG IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2329.JPG IMG_2330.JPG IMG_2331.JPG
    Scotty, Wings5797, NickM and 7 others like this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

He turned out great Tony!
    Very much like the skintone. Great work on the different camos.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Yup, what Adrian said!

Joe
  11. Mark S Guest

Great result Tony....beautifully done, mate.
    Another Dawesome bust.
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Incredibly well done Tony, love it!!

Cheers, Ski.
  13. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Really brought him to life, has that 'long distance stare' about his face!

The camo work on the equipment and rifle works well, really comes together!!

Cheers

Jamie
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    Excellent work, everything works so well together.(y) You are one of the people on here who I take great inspiration from for portraying a soldier in the field.
    cheers
    Richie
  15. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,

That 4th shot is a keeper!
    So captures the truth of the lonely sniper holed up awaiting his next step.

I've gotta have a go at that pastel effect on a future project.
    It seems so effective, as Richie said, to capture a feel for real soldiers.
    It's an interesting choice I'm debating at the moment with realism vs artistic interpretation.

Thanks for sharing your thinking & references too.

You've again done Scottie & the Naked Army ANZACs proud :)

Stay safe

Mike

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...cale-naked-army-bust.69036/page-2#post-711270
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Adrian, I'm glad you like the way it turned out mate. The skintone was tricky as I didn't want him to look suntanned but I needed to put some colour into the face to avoid him looking too pale. The different camos was an easy choice. The variety of gear employed by modern special forces soldiers is staggering and much of it is commercially available, not just military issue.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Joe, I guess my same response to you as to Adrian. Thanks for looking.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mark,

Thanks again mate. Glad to know you like this bust. I wasn't initially that keen on it, but I must admit it grew on me as I started to get into it.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ski,

Thanks for your continued encouragement and support mate. I tried a few new techniques with this bust and hopefully achieved a reasonably accurate result.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks mate. The stare on the face is something I could tell you I spent hours on, but in reality the eyes took me about 45 minutes to do over a period of 2-3 days. Apart from altering the colour to reduce the blue colour a bit, all I did was some careful outlining around the eyeball and adding some oil wash filters over the eyeball to add a slight redness to suggest tiredness or fatigue.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.