1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Australian SAS Vietnam bust, Naked Army 1/6 scale conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tony Dawe, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I’ve been keen to do another version of this imposing 1/6th scale Naked Army bust, combining Tiger Stripe camouflage and an M203 grenade launcher. The challenge with this project is to convert the bust by repositioning the right arm, add a new right hand and sculpt the grenade pouches that are worn on the front webbing straps.

I’ve also changed the cut of the pockets on the front of the shirt and added buttons. There are a few more additions to the shirt to go on before I prime the bust.

It’s already taken me 3 weeks to get this far and there’s a long way to go. I’ve sculpted a very rough right hand out of Sculpey so I can see what the final pose will look like and ensure there’s enough space for the grenade pouches.

I added a beard and moustache to the face to reflect the fact that SAS would go unshaven for several days before going out on patrol and wouldn’t shave while on patrol for several weeks. My sincere thanks to Chris Roberts, (Chrisr) who has been a wonderful source of first-hand reference on the look and feel of this bust.

A610FC1D-6D8F-4C43-88C2-60AA7A8E68E3.jpeg 1FCE9480-69D7-4559-8380-3ACFBF520DC7.jpeg 53C3EB4F-B09C-4307-BE13-1DD04AA70302.jpeg
    Oda, Borek, MrBMB and 6 others like this.
  2. Mookie Well-Known Member

Got me chair pulled up for this Tony.My 1.10th version will be reworked a.s.a.p.
    Great so far.
    Rich.
  3. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Rich, I’ve abandoned plans to sculpt the right hand due to an appalling lack of talent and skill. Instead I’ve opted to replace the right hand with a plastic hand from a battle barbie ordered from Monkey Depot. I can’t wait to get my hands on one of your 1/10th scale busts.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Sat right next to Rich on this one

All credit to you for the work you've done so far

Look forward to more updates

Happy benchtime and putty pushing

Nap

PS ...love the Ziggy Stardust picture
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  5. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Tony what happened to the original hand? I had a look in my cupboard and pulled out this on the go project. The original hand fits around an M16 hope you havent lost it....[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  6. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Gday Jim, no I haven’t lost the hand mate. It’s still attached to the SLR. The M203 is relatively light compared to the SLR, so I thought it would be OK to show him holding it aloft in one hand, rather than resting it on an ammo pouch. I wanted to replicate the pose of the Young Miniatures bust below, with the hand on the pistol grip.

There’s now quite a few versions of the magnificent bust around and each of them shows off a slightly different aspect of the subject, and reflecting the skills of the modellers. I didn’t want to do a copy of anyone else’s version, so I opted to make a few subtle changes to make my version unique. I like the changes you’ve made the your version. Hopefully you’ll post a few more pics soon.

26AE9EF9-AF36-4B00-8C0F-E697F6E0D001.jpeg 9E58BF7B-E3BD-46FB-B452-80390BBFD52F.jpeg 8C84624B-5820-4CF7-9B99-E820BF3138A5.jpeg
    Borek and Nap like this.
  7. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ahh that makes sense. I must have carved it off from the SLR, which I always replace with the 1/6th ones. I also took the sweat rag off while I figured out how to make the Aussie one which as you know is very distinctive. The cut down bush hat is my homage to The Odd Angry Shot.....
    Nap likes this.
  8. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    While I wait for a replacement right hand to come through the post, I’m going to crack on with this bust.
    First step was to get out my airbrush and spray Vallejo black primer over the bust. I’ll let the primer set for 24 hours before I start on the base coating the flesh areas. The right hand and weapon will be fixed in place later and I will then be able to fit the grenade pouches onto the right hand side of the webbing straps.
    8ABE2BF1-0BAD-4F83-BF56-5BD5E228DE8C.jpeg
    Borek, Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  9. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Definitely a WIP pic. Just spent hours mixing various green colours to capture the right shade of sage green as the base colour for the shirt. No highlighting or shading done on the shirt yet. The face and eyes are still very basic and the skin tones lack variation. I’m happy with my progress so far.
    The real challenge will come when I start work on the Tiger stripe camouflage pattern, which is so complex and detailed.
    96B5DBEB-171E-4973-B04F-DF0AA167B8E4.jpeg 16AB6315-2272-43DA-86F2-4B4AAEA3BC19.jpeg
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Very cleanly applied primer and a good colour base for the shirt .....even now the character of the sculpt is coming through

Thanks for updates

Looking forward to the next steps ...presumably the highs and shadows on the shirt

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,

This is coming along nicely. Just want to let you know by this time on patrol our faces were quite dirty from layers of cam cream and dirt. We looked down right scruffy - and we smelt awful.:wtf:

Cheers
    Chris
    Nap likes this.
  12. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Nap, your constant support and encouragement is most appreciated mate.

Hi Chris, thanks for insights on the face cam. Rest assured, by the time he’s finished he’ll be a scruffy, smelly beast with layers of grime, dirt, sweat and filth. I’m planning to present him as if he’s just come back from a long patrol.
    Nap likes this.
  13. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    The right hand arrived in the post today, so I whipped out the Dremel tool and ground out the area under the right arm to position the M203. A bit more fettling required to make the hand fit into the sleeve and then I can crack on with the Tiger stripe.
    DFF2782C-45A8-48C8-9E57-09673FF9A2CA.jpeg DCEAF801-A408-4CA7-BDA7-4FF5E510DD5D.jpeg 75A1740A-494A-4978-8FAE-C30072536B41.jpeg
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Always good to see your benchtime , nice work on the hand

Following as always ...bring on that camo ..lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Scored this XXL sized Tiger stripe shirt at markets in Fremantle today. My references are sorted.

After 2 weeks in the jungle the face is covered in layers of camouflage cream, dirt and smeared by sweat.

I want the eyes to have a 1000 yard stare look, as if he’s looking through you, not at you.

I’m also considering how to present this bust in a way that hasn’t been done with such a large scale.

Next step is to lay in the black tiger stripes.
    1673F2B7-C6A7-460C-857A-EB0C90A209F2.jpeg DD707839-5A7B-4709-B8C4-F03A05DB2855.jpeg 000E1594-6832-4A54-BE89-CE3273080FA9.jpeg E81C16F9-C0A1-46CD-BA61-535A23B33B42.jpeg C30C4546-2B05-4A23-8D88-732E718AEE32.jpeg
    Borek, Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

WOW!!!! ....that is a great bit of painting .....IMO looks spot on ....dirty, sweaty, tired, and the eyes just so piercing into the distance

Great ref with the clothing as well ........I have a book on Tiger stripes if needed but you can't get much better than actual clothing

Great time at the bench mate

If I may , it's possibly the light reflection in pic but knock back the sweat a little at the side of neck

Interested in how your ideas on presenting the piece as well

As always following

Happy benchtime

Nap
  17. Mookie Well-Known Member

Looking great Tony.Never tackled Tiger stripes before.I guess as they were originalky made in Vietnam the sizes would be suited to slight built guys.
    Rich
  18. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Sneak peek. Collar only.
    38221D29-5E57-4B0A-9916-205263F0DA5C.jpeg
  19. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Just had chance to join here Tony.
    He’s cracking along & neat seeing him with a 203 - good option - is this a Battle Barbie one?
    Keep em coming mate!
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  20. MrBMB A Fixture

Very nice work going on here mate!!