1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Australian Light Horse WW1

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by stev1eran, Jun 20, 2006.

1. stev1eran Member

Just finished this Fort Duquesne bust of an Australian Light Horseman.
    Comments and advice very welcome.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Steve
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve, I would say nice effort all around. How can you go wrong with cool hats and great facial hair! :lol: I might suggest that he looks like he needs more contrasts in the flesh tones. Particularly down in the creases next to the hat strap. It would work wonders for depth there. I like the eyes and the slight variation you achieved in the two shirt colors. The hat band might suffer just a nudge from too little contrasts as well. I think just slightly darker shadows and just slightly lighter highlights and you're there! A fun piece for sure!

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice Steve, I haven't seen this bust before. Are Fort Duquesne kits still available?

Roger.
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    The pics are a bit small for proper critique, but I can see enough to want to paint this one myself.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I did'nt know Ft Duq did a Light horse bust.~Gary
  6. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Steve
    Nice one (y)
    Pete
  7. stev1eran Member

Jay - thanks for the advice I will take on board what you have said and I will try that out.

Gary - sorry mate got it wrong, the bust is from a US company called Pony Soldier from Chesterfield VA. I got the boxes mixed up Doh :(

Dave - if you click on the image it should give you a bigger pic.

Roger - I picked the kit up at Hinkley, it was sitting with a lot of odd bits and pieces. I dont know if its still available you could try the address on the box which is tkscul19@idt.net

Thanks guys

Steve
  8. jasmils Active Member

Australia
    G'day Steve,
    Very nice bust.
    But the puggaree, throu no falt of yours is the wrong style. It should be a darker shade towards brown a bit like the slouch itself, and the WW1 hat band has no pleats in it.
    The plume is made from emu feathers and should go from a light sand colour at the base of the feather to dark sand and brown/Black at the ends.
    Apart from that it is very nice.

Cheers Jason

Oh P.S. GREAT to see part of my old regiment depicted in a figure.
    The 2nd Light Horse Regiment.

Attached Files:

9. stev1eran Member

Thanks for the info Jase,
    i'll see what I can do with the feathers but the hat can stay as it is :lol:
    Steve
  10. tksculpt Member

United-States
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Steve,

Well done mate. That's a very handsome bust, full of character. I don't mean to nit pick, but there are a couple of tiny little things you might want to look at.

The brass "Australia" flash on the epaulette is shaped like a smile, as seen in the attached pic.

Jason has already pointed out that the pugaree around the slouch hat is the wrong type and colour, and the emu feathers are sandy colored.

Having said that, I think you've done a good job.

Cheers

Attached Files:

12. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    not sure but the collar badges look a bit small...........but the painting is very nice
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Critiques from this little pictures are hard to give.
    But i would say you have done some great job.

Marc