WIP Australian Light Horse Trooper, 1/8th scale bust WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the WW1 Australian Light Horse and have done several busts and figures on the subject over the years.

I'm also involved in the Australian Outback Heritage Horse Association and WA Light Horse Reenactment Troop which help to preserve the bloodlines of the Waler horses ridden by the Light Horsemen and honour the memory of the men of the Light Horse.

This latest bust was sculpted by my good mate Phil Walden, and is quite simply the best and most historically accurate bust on the subject released to date.(y)

I got my eager hands on this bust yesterday and spent yesteday afternoon and last night sanding, filing and priming the figure ready for painting.:cool: The head and hat are just blu-taked in place for the photos at this stage.

Attached Files:

dArtagnan, SRP, Dan Morton and 13 others like this.
  2. tony66 Member

Australia
    Hi Tony
    Great looking bust.
    I'm sure you'll do a great job on this one.
    I'll be following this with a lot of interest.
    Tony Del
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece Tony. Is he a one off, or a commercial piece?
    Carl.
  4. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Carl He is a commercial Piece
    I have one of the test shots
    He is fabulous
    Ian
  5. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ian, I'll keep my eyes open.(y)
    Carl.
  6. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Very nice bust Tony, have seen a lot of Phil's work and it certainly is good. look forward to seeing your painting on this piece. Les
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Following...
  8. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Beautiful bust with alot of character.
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, looking forward to seeing your painting of this excellent sculpted bust, great work on the hat and what a stunning face .(y)

Cheers Ken
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    VERY nice bust this Tony -- a nice heritage piece as well.(y)
  11. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    A wonderful bust model.
    I'm looking forward to completion.
    I expect it of your SBS.

Mitsutaka
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I take that all life matters are on hold till you finish this one!!!!! HEHE. He looks even better primed than in the resin test shots, and I know you will do a top job on this. Can't wait to get mine

Ben
  13. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Hello Tony

Hope you will do this as a SBS, it`s a great sculpt full of character.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your comments. I'm very pleased you like this bust, and I'm happy to present this as an SBS.:cool:

Step 1 was preparing the bust for painting and priming.

Step 2. Painting the base coats in Vallejo acrylics.

I want the skin to look tanned and weather beaten, so I chose 5 drops of Dark Flesh and two drops of Burnt Cad Red diluted with 5 drops of distilled water for the base colourfor the flesh. I applied this in three caots, using the hair dryer between coats to speed up the drying time. It's quite a dark colour, but importantly it has that rich red tone of deeply tanned skin exposed to constant sun.;)

The jacket is made of a rough woolen serge material and starts out khaki in colour, but quickly fades to a lighter shade in the intense heat of the desert and becomes impregnated with dust and mud. I began by adding two drops of English Uniform, two drops of US Tan Earth and one drop of Medium Flesh to five drops of water. Three to four coats were applied and dried as above.

Step 3. Mid highlights

The mid highlights on the face help to identify what areas of the skin will be exposed to light and to assign a highlight colour to them early on. Obviously I intend to go back later and define the highlights better, but for now, this process allows me to see the rough contour of the facial features and block in the highlight colour for future reference.;)

The mid highlight colour is made up of two drops of the flesh base colour with two drops of Basic Skintone added and diluted with 10 drops of water. As I lighten the highlights, I will continue to add more water to the colour mix and make it more dilute and transparent. This aids the process of creating nice smooth transitions between shadows and highlights.(y)

As you can see from the photos below, its still very early in the process. I'm in no rush. I want to take my time and enjoy this bust.:cool:

I'll post some more photos when I reach the next stage; paintng the eyes.:eek:

Hope you like it so far. Comments/ criticisms always welcome.:)

Attached Files:

15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Nice looking bust Tony. Compliments to Phil. I'm sure you'll do it justice

Steve
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Nice start and thanks for the SBS Tony. I look forward to following your approach!
    Nice sculpt as well; looks like quite the rugged guy...!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  17. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great character face for you to have fun with there Tony.
    Great start,
    Carl.
  18. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Following with interest Tony :)

Mark
  19. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    thanks for your tips on colours etc Tony - hope to start mine this weekend (start holsidays)

Ian
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    The eyes

Step . Painting the eyes.

Photo 1. I start by outlining the shape of the eyeball with Foundation White. When the eyeball is properly defined, I add a very, very tiny touch of Prussian Blue to the white mix and paint only the bottom half of the eyeball. This is too subtle to see in the photos.;)

Photo 2. I start to outline the shape of the iris. It's best to have a look at your own eyes in the mirror first so you can see how each iris occupies a slightly different place in the eyeball, depending on which way you are looking. A good tip is to paint the figure's right eye (on the left side as you look at it) first. This is the hardest eye to paint for a right hander, because you have to paint around the nose. Once you have the shape of the iris in the right eye, fill in the left eye to ensure they are aligned. Do you best to keep the iris round in shape.(y)

Photo 3. I close the eye by repainting the flesh base colour along the top and bottom of the eyeball. This immediately creates a bit more of a squint. It also prevents that zombie stare that affects so many figures.

Photo 4. I add a dark line along the underside of the upper eyelid to mark the line between the top of the eyeball and the upper eyelid. The colour as Black Grey mixed with Burnt Cad Red. The effect of doing this is dramatic. It has the same effect as a woman putting eyeliner around her eyes. It makes them "pop".:eek:

Photo 5. I go back to the iris and add a slightly lighter shade of grey to mark the colour of the inner iris. This should leave a darker ring around the outside of the iris, which also helps to define the shape and size of the iris. I wanted the figure to have slate grey eyes, so the base colour of the iris is Black Grey mixed with Medium Flesh. The inner iris colour is the grey base color with a touch of Foundation white. I then add a small drop of black in the centre of the iris to provide a reference point for the pupil.

Photo 6. To finish the eye, I add controlled drops of Black to the cente of the iris to round out the pupil. The pupil is roughly one third the size of the iris, although in bright sunshine, it will close to a pinprick. Conversely, in lowlight the pupil will dilate and become almost as big as the iris.

Photo 7. Some of the special effects I add include adding a small dab of Vermillion Red on the inside corners of the eye to represent the tear ducts, and a few very thin lines from the tear ducts towards the iris to represent blood shot eyes (go easy with these). I then add a very thin wash of Black along the bottom edge of the eyeball to help define the lower eyelid.

I always paint the eyes looking slightly off-centre, rather than dead ahead. It looks a bit more dramatic, in my opinion.(y)

This is a rather basic guide to painting eyes. I don't always do it this way, but this is the way that makes the most sense. I'll fiddle around a bit more with the eyes before I'm finished and probably add a catch light later on.:D

Hope this helps.;)

Attached Files:

BarrieHynd and billyturnip like this.