1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Australian Infantryman, New Guinea 1943, Benieto 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, May 19, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Guys,

First pics of my latest effort; Benieto's 54mm Australian Infantryman, New Guinea 1943.

Painted in Jo Sonja acrylics with oil washes.

As always comments welcome.

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one Tony. I am surprised the uniform was so green but I guess that's because I am used to khaki. Makes sense for jungle fighting I guess.

Colin
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Colin,

The uniforms worn by AIF soldiers returning from North Africa and redeployed to New Guinea in 1943 were originally khaki drill in colour, but were died green to make them more suitable for jungle conditions. The dyes used were usually not colour fast and often very bright green in colour and then faded as the clothes wore out.

In the humid conditions of the jungles the light drill cloth, which was better suited to the dry heat of the desert, didn't last very long and rotted within several weeks. They were eventually replaced by heavier cotton cloth materials which were better suited to the jungle.

I'm planning to tone down the green colour and make it more drab in colour and then add lots of dirt and stains to reflect the harsh jungle conditions.
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one Tony, I remember a while ago you had painters block, now I think its the opposite!!!!! I guess it is Aussie though so you have to do it
    Ben
    NickM likes this.
  5. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Looking good mate, nice work..
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great so far mate. Geez, you're churning them out at the moment!!
  7. Mark S Guest

The painting looks great so far Tony.
    At this early stage the figure's pose is, well I'm not sure how to put it but , it's not good ,but I'm sure it'll all come together well in the end.
    Looking forward to your progress here Tony!
  8. Don Well-Known Member

Looking good so far Tony, a wee bit fading here and there should help as you well know. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Only question I have is with the shorts in the jungle, is that a standard for your guys?

Don
  9. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Tony, but the wearing of shorts wasn't that common by 1943, Don. Perhaps earlier on - I've seen a few images from the Kokoda track, but not the standard.

image.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Don Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, just wasnt sure and I know I wouldnt myself.
    Met a few Diggers returning from Vietnam and am pretty sure they never wore shorts in the bush.
    Thanks for the photos though, seems they did wear them. Was pretty sure Tony would never have painted the figure if it was wrong, was trying to remember!

Don
    tonydawe likes this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers guys, thanks for comments.

Mark the pose looks a bit odd at the moment but it should look OK once I have the figure placed on the base.

Don, shorts were worn throughout the war both in North Africa and in New Guinea. They provided some relief from the heat and were easier to wear especially when you consider most of the men fighting on the Kokoda Track were suffering from dysentery and had relentless and constant diarrhoea. Without getting too explicit, the common solution was to use the bayonet to slice a hole in the back of your shorts and just squat down when you needed to go. Not elegant or heroic but effective and practical.
    Don and NickM like this.
  12. Don Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation Tony. I can see the point in N Africa but not so in the jungle. Not being so bold as to argue with every Australian soldier I wanted to find out. Having worked in West Africa, Indonesia and a hell of a lot of sandy and jungle places we were never allowed shorts (modern industry) due to the wide range of things that want to bite a mere human.
    We were very lucky that when we got diarrhoea we went to the nearest toilet for a few days.
    I will leave the likes of the Kokoda Trail to others, braver men than me.
    Thanks for your help.

Don
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Wasn't just me that thought it was Bdr "Gloria" Beaumont then :hilarious: Looks good and some interesting stuff there Tony
    Steve
    housecarl likes this.
  14. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    He's a little character Tony :)
    Enjoying the history that is coming out as this project evolves too.

Mike
    J.A.Hidalgo likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks again folks.

Just one further point on the shorts - they may not have started off as shorts when they were issued. The "shorts" as seen in the photos Nick supplied look to be cut off trousers, a form of field modification to the uniform which is tolerated on the front line but frowned upon by those in the rear echelons. At the front practical necessity dictated comfort.
    Don and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice tony,I don't know much about this period of war but your figure looks really well done :)