1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Australian Infantry 1916, Ozmods 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 21, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the first pics of the second project I have on my workbench at the moment.

Sculpted by my great mate and mentor Phil Walden and produced by OZMods, this 120mm resin figure of an Australian infantryman in 1916 is one I just had to have and couldn't wait to start work on.

I've almost finished with the face, and just base coated the rest of the figure. I haven't decided on the groundwork setting, but there's a good chance of mud;)

Hope you like. As always I welcome your comments and suggestions.
    IMG_5584.JPG IMG_5580.JPG IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5583.JPG IMG_5585.JPG
    sam b, valiant, billyturnip and 2 others like this.
  2. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great so far, mate! I knew it wouldn't be long before you were back on an AIF subject ;)
    I really like this figure too. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
    Cheers
  3. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Starting to look good
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Come on Tony,you know i like my mud :LOL:,i lie your scenic settings and i'll be interested to see what your going to come up with on this one (y)

Brian
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hey Nick, thanks for your comments mate. Yeah couldn't stay away from this ANZAC. I need a break from Romans too.

Thanks Ken, I appreciate your comment mate.

G'day Brian, I' m planning to dirty him up to look like he's just come out of the front line. Lot's mud, grime and stains. Should be fun. I'll be using your Vasilly bust as inspiration.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Good on ya mate (y),look forward to seeing it (y)

Brian
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice start on this one.
    Gonna follow it with great interest.

Marc
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,

Watched "Birdsong" the other night & got a feel for the hell these guys experienced - above & below the Western Front.

Look forward to seeing what this one turns out like.

Stay safe,

Mike
  9. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony, this looks a grand figure, never got the chance to get it at QMHE, but will try ozmods soon.
    watching.. Les
  10. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking forward to seeing this one progress Tony.

Cheers Davie
  11. Mark S Guest

Nice start Tony, great pics too.
    Looking forward to seeing the final result.
    A mud recipe I like to use is made from equal parts of cream of tartar and PVA glue mixed with lots of dried Oregano and fine rootlets.
    I'm sure you've got your own recipe Tony but I just thought I'd throw it in anyway.....cheers.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mark,

I regard myself as the Nigella Lawson of mud. I have a recipe book full of interesting varieties of mud, from the white chalky mud of the Ypres salient, to the orange loamy mud of the Mekong Deltato the dark rich jungle mud of New Guinea. In each case, I like to start with real dirt from my garden along with various roots from weeds and small pieces of dried leaves and mix it with a paint colour and PVA glue. In some cases, you may want to create a dried mud colour too, which suggests that the mud may have dried on the clothing and then have a few wet patches and splashes to show more recent exposure.

The study of mud is one that I have personally conducted over many years. As a soldier I gained first hand knowledge of how an infantryman lives in and on the ground and how the colour of the local soil impregnates his clothes, equiptment, hair and skin. A couple of days in the field will turn most soldiers into wlaking soil samples. Nothing helps to sell the realism of a figure than proper research of the geology and topography of the region being depicted. In this respect, the internet provides a very handy source of reference for landscapes and photos of plants and soils in different environments.

Equally, nothing kills the hard work of a figure modeller who has strived for perfection in painting his figure only to plonk it onto a base with inappropriate groundwork and plants that are totally wrong for the region. I recall our good friend and fellow Planeteer Mitsutaka Fujiwara had a preference for using plastic aquarium plants on his groundwork. He had his German soldiers standing in snow on the Eastern front with tropical palm leaves sticking out of the snow. I'm not being critical of Mitsutaka, simply using him as an example of how a good understanding of soil and plants can either enhance or detract from a good piece of figure modelling, and provide the proper context for a figure.

So mud is important, both as a means of providing the proper geological and geographical context for a figure, but also to convey the reality of a soldier's life in the field. Since most of our figure modelling subjects are military in nature, and most of these military subjects are soldiers, we should embrace the filthy life of a soldier in all its glory, and show him as he really is. Not for me those pristine, clean-as-a-whistle namby pamby parade ground figures with their shiny boots and starched trousers; give me mud and grime and all manner of filth.
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  13. Jazz A Fixture

England
    A good start on your figure Tony. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I was really absorbed by your graphic pictures of mud, being a bit of a mud afficianado myself. There I was, intently absorbed in the muddy detailness of each picture when I finally reached the final photo and almost had my eyes burned out by the shameless exhibisionism of what can only be "Fake mud". Yes, I have said it. I'm sorry Tony but there is no way that final picture is showing real mud. To me it looks like a mixture of Cadburys and Bourneville hot chocolate powder and milk. And they are not soldiers fighting either-SHAME ON YOU. ;)
  14. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good mate.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Actually Jazz, they are female soldiers from the US engaged in a spot of mud wrestling, according to the caption on Google Images. Mud wrestling is of course a time-honoured training technique for US soldiers, although usually it involves wearing more clothing. If you Google "muddy soldiers", you'll find it. I threw that one in for a bit of levity (hopefully Gordy wont send me to the Sin Bin for being a bit naughty).
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease Tony. I wish I had been in the US Army instead of the boring British one. We never had anything going on like that. Well there was that one time up the Rieperbahn in Hanover, but the less said about that the better. As for Gordy getting upset, well its hardly your fault if the soldiers clothes just happened to fall off in training now is it???
    tonydawe likes this.
  17. Mark S Guest

Thanks for exposing some of the finer points of muddyness Tony. I especially like those final couple of points, it's clear now where you're coming from.
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Fresh this morning, they've lost the effect a bit as I walked through some grass to clean them off a bit, twice a day me and the dog go looking for those mud wrestlers... better luck this afternoon. :hungry:

Following along Tony. :)

[IMG]

Roger.
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Well, I can't speak for the British army, but after seeing first-hand what the Australian Army has to offer in the female department, I am eternally grateful that our training techniques involved neither mud nor taking clothes off...
    billyturnip likes this.
  20. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking a good start mate. Now I've seen those different pics of mud I might have to research muddy soldiers a bit more in depth.

Andrew.