1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Australian Bren Gunner 120mm Phil Walden

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by fanai, Mar 26, 2009.

1. PHIL WALDEN Member

Ian old mate,..
    he is tapping out his pipe on the heel of his boot,....one may find it difficult to race around with rifle and bayonet at the same time....no mate a great big Lewis Gun, as a leaning post.......

he! he!.....Phil....
  2. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Awesome Bro,
    Wheather holding a rifle,bren,lewis or just a big damn stick it will look GREAT..... New guinea guy is Fantastic he lends towards a vignette sometimes then you look again and start to think of a different scene. Can't wait ........

Keep pushin...............Chris
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "I'm not normally a fan of WW2 figures but this one is a bloody beauty. Very realistic, true to style from the photos of the diggers in New Guinea and a real treat.

Heartiest congratulations on a figure with real feeling.

Cheers
    Chris

PS, Now how about a 1st Australian Horse 1903 , a New South Wales Lancer 1899 or a Victorian Mounted Rifles 1885?"

I'll second all of the above, especially a NSW lancer (in 120/150mm)!

Keep sculpting!

Mike
  4. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hello Mike...
    sorry for not returning your post sooner,...good stuff that you like him mate, l enjoyed sculpting him....in my minds eye l could see him making a river crossing on a falled tree with a fast running creek below him...no problems....
    Mate have a couple of mounted subjects in the fire, but l wont let the cat out of the bag just yet except they are 120mm.....

thanks again Mike for the good thoughts...Phil....
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Phil,
    Your Bren gunner is great,he,s got some character about him.Will you put a ciggy in his mouth?
    Andy
  6. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hi Andy....
    big buzz sculpting him...no mate cigs...are reserved for old diggers, anyway the young bloke made a promise to his mum that he would not take up cigs...may endanger his life......

cheers Andy.....Phil.
  7. Hecky_uk Active Member

This looks a truly awesome sculpt. Great anatomy , pose and character. Any idea on when/where he will be available

Ian
  8. Mark S Guest

I reckon this sculpt is great,well done Phil.
    I've only worked out that it's your sculpt from reading these posts.
    The pics have Ian Fainges name on them so I was a little confused about who the sculptor was.
    But I gather they're yours Phil,Well done indeed.
  9. PHIL WALDEN Member

evening Stiff,..
    yes mate i'm the guilty party,.lan dose my photos,mate l dont have a camera and l dont like to borrow other peoples tools,..an old tradesmans never to do, but its good you worked things out, one day will own my own digy..camera...
    Stiff if you know Chris Walden ask him about all the ins and outs of my works,Chris{loosehead} is my son,he dose not bite.....

thanks cobber for the good words...Phil..
  10. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Phil,Great to see your work here on Planet Figure:).Top rate sculpting as always mate,very natural and realistic, as all your sculpts are.Always an inspiration.Look forward to see him with paint on.

Kind regards,John:)
  11. PHIL WALDEN Member

Evening John,...
    greatly appreciate the good thoughts....hes off being cast as we talk fingers crossed, mate I love the old Maori bloke, l can see your right into him...

good stuff Phil.....
  12. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Current Photos of the finished castings

This is NOT the original sculpt but the actual productin cast painted

[IMG]

[IMG]
    the second head
    [IMG]
    photos from other Camera
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ian, looking very good, I love both heads. The bearded bloke has great character, and the younger one shows youth and determination. Cant wait till these are commercially available, I WANT ONE !!!!!!
    Ben
  14. PHIL WALDEN Member

Aust Bren Gunner

Evening folks,....
    thanks for the photos bro,...all but have him completed,little more shade work on his trousers,..sorry he's on a lean,a weak pin in his foot,my fault,..the bren is only the stand in weapon it was already half painted,the photos a wee light,but l'm pleased with him in general,what do you think....

..Phil..
  15. PHIL WALDEN Member

Aust Bren g....

Hi! Ben,...
    its cool you like him brother, and not to worry l have one ear marked for you for sure....

post all the imfo through the week...cheers..Phil....
  16. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Phil !

did I understand correctly that your ANZAC figures are available commercially ? Can you please tell me where I have to look to find them ? Would be interested to purchase a sample of your excellent work, ANZACS are a great subject by the way.

Kind regards from Belgium,

Johan ;)
  17. Tutilo17 PlanetFigure Supporter

Switzerland
    Great stuff!! Put me on your list or just let me know where I can get one of those.

Regards
    Stefan
  18. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Phil,
    He,s great.I like his hat ,theres something quintessential about the Oz hat.
    All the best
    Andy
  19. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    hey Ben - yes I actially love the young face and on camera blown up big he looks real (phil req smaller shot - still playing with colour but when do Box art photos will take several until Phil is happy with results

Yes I cannot wait for his release either
  20. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Have been watching this for a while now....

a great sculpt, with a good character face.

Is it just me, or are Aussie soldiers usually portrayed as cocking their head gear at a rakish angle, as part of our national Identity:)

as compared to, say, German soldiers, who wear the steel pots either regulation, , or their caps pushed back may be a bit, but still regulation mostly.

Says a lot about Phil that he can capture such character and identity so well

Thumbs up
    (from a fumbling clay pusher)

cheers