attempting to sculpt a horse...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wendy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here is my progress in sculpting the horse. First time ever sculpting a horse. The pic of the "skeleton" is on the sculpting a horse topic in the sculpting forum. Here is an udated pic of the work in progress. It's still rough and I need to add more to the belly and work on the hooves and legs and shoulder more. I've been using a horse anatomy book as a reference and have been making rough putty shaped muscle and layering it on (which is one reason the neck looks so weird - obviously needs more putty).

Anyway, comments, criticism, and suggestions always welcome.

Cheers,
    Wendy

Attached Files:

2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy,
    Looks good to me and better than I can do. Keep plugging away
    Cheers
    John
  3. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Looks very good to me, Wendy!
  4. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Wendy,

looks like we work on the same horse... :)

I think you have a good start here !!! I´m looking forward to your next step !!!

Kind regards,
    Markus
  5. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Good start Wendy, what is he going to part of?
    Keep up the good work
    Cheers
    John
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy - You're getting there! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Kyle Member

United-States
    Very nice start, Wendy. I am currently painting my first horse--so the inspiration for sculpting one is very good!

I like what you have done so far with the muscular structure.

Cheers,
    Kyle
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wendy, Your horse looks pretty good up to this point. What is the scale/size?~Gary
  9. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Thank you for the kind words, John, Kyle, and PJ. :)

It does look like the same horse, Markus, however, I wanted to make him an Egyptian Arabian, but the anatomy book I was using has a thoroghbred. I may have to change him a bit...

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with him, Normo. I made his head and neck stretched out like he's reaching for something. Now I just have to decide what that something will be. Not the best planning on my part...:rolleyes:

Thanks Gary. He's roughly 1/35 scale. (The template that Sergey graciously provided as 54mm actually printed out about 10% smaller, so I figured that's pretty close to what 1/35 would be (and Arabians are on the small side anyway).

Cheers all,
    Wendy
  10. moore Active Member

United-States
    Wendy,
    I think it looks great so far.
    Hope to get to meet you this year at MFCA.

Dee
  11. Zlobov*S Active Member

Good start Wendy - !!!! ;)
  12. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Update - he's two of the horses I'm working on. They are both very rough. Legs are tricky! I broke one off on the Arabian (the larger horse). The smaller is supposed to be a Shire-like medieval charger in approximately 32mm figure size, so he's huge. What's on him as far as muscle was slapped on in one night, so there's lots of work to do yet. I've actually spent a lot of time carving down the Arabian (and my finger). The book I was using on horse anatomy has a Thoroughbred. (Oops...) I round a good Arabian pic, so I had (and have) to make some changes. This is quite a learning process! Still fun though. :D Any thoughts, criticisms, or comments on anatomy would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Wendy

Attached Files:

13. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    I appreciate your work Wendy, it looks like a magnificent start. How long have you been sculptin'?
  14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wendy, are you bringing these to MFCA so some of us can get a look at them "in the round"?
  15. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. I've been sculpting a little less than a year maybe? My only completed thing is the fox in the diorama on my vbench. I am following along with Sergei Zlobov's horse sculpting group build (check out his forum!) and I'm using his basic templates which makes it much easier. It's a learning experience! :D Out of curiousity, do you happen to paint Mithrils on occasion?

Hey Jason. I hope to have them done before MFCA, but I'll bring them finished or not. I don't have too much hope of having them painted, but who knows? Maybe I'll find time enough to be satisfied with it. :) Only three weeks left! Time does fly!

Cheers,
    Wendy
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy,
    Looking good so far. Nice shapes.
    Cheers
    John
  17. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Mithrils? I paint anythin' 5mm, 15mm, 25mm etc. I paint a lot of armies for wargamers.