1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Attack on La Haye Sainte at Waterloo in 28mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Waterlooman, May 9, 2021.

1. Waterlooman A Fixture

Good day all, I am a newcomer here, can I share with you my ongoing build in 28mm containing plastic figures to represent the attack (at mid afternoon) on the farm building of La Haye Sainte, this will consist of around 100-150 figures of the Two regiments of French - a few cuirassiers Marshal Ney, and in the farm the 1st and 2nd KGL light, and Major Baring and the KGL 5th.
    I will also have the farm building to construct (at the moment it is a MDF Flat pack) I also have some scenery to make and a case is being made to protect it.

Here are a few pics to show the figure making/painting - hope if I do regular updates it will be of interest to the fine people here.

W.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    MacCoy, marco55, oldtrousers and 15 others like this.
  2. Waterlooman A Fixture

I am currently working on these boys - 1st and 2nd KGL light they are from a new range and not from the usual Perry Two Piece sets, the New sets contain enough torso/leg/arm and heads to amke about Thirty figures.

I have also been experiemting with a new Flat top coat Varnish called Ammo Lucky Super Matt, I brush this on in a few layers drying with a hairdryer between coats till the paintwork has flattened any shiny bits of paintwork - I do find that some of the Vallejo matt paints can leave a slightly satin finish so a good flat varnish is very welcome, most of the above are shown prior to me using the new Flat coat and show the satin finish that comes out of some of the Vallejo matt paints.

These figures are also prior to me using the Ultra Matt varnish - hence their slight sheen.

W.[IMG]
    Grod, PLG, marco55 and 9 others like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John

What a impressive project you've taken on , good start as well , nice to see smaller scale figures as well

We are running a Vignette & Diorama comp till 31/12 with voting till 31/01/22 ...something you might be interested in

Have a look at member Marquismini thread in V bench , he too does small figures https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/40mm-trident-maison-du-roi.118045/

Look forward to updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Nice progress! This takes me back to my first foray into figures when I was in high school, a "diorama"-more of a wargame, really-of Waterloo, using Airfix figures. They were all I could get at the time. I look forward to seeing these on a base!

Prost!
    Brad
    KenBoyle likes this.
  5. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you Brad, I too used to wargame with those Airfix Waterloo sets as a kid - I gave up trying to paint them and just had them all over the living room floor playing instead driving my late mum mad as she trod on them trying to get to the kitchen - happy days lol.

With this one I itend to make it a static dio with the figures cut away from their bases and attached with fine stiff wire into their feet/legs and glued down the the main board where I want them.

W.
    theBaron likes this.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I glued mine to scraps of balsa sheet that I had from my discarded project to turn the Entex Titanic into an aircraft carrier. Those figures introduced me to the problems of paint adhesion and mixing scales, too. "Why are these 1/72 scale, but those are HO?!"

Returning to modeling in the 90s, I was amazed at the variety that was now available, and it's only grown since then. If we'd only had all of those when I was a kid!

Prost!
    Brad
    Waterlooman likes this.
  7. Waterlooman A Fixture

Some more info on my dio - one picture is a painting showing the battle inside the farm with the 1st and 2nd KGL, the 5th line KGL and the 1st Nassau reg fighting off the attacking French as they were trying to get into the farm, my dio will be from slightly earlier than this - before the Nassau reg was sent down the hill to the farm.
    The other pic shows my ground plan with the farm complex.

W.[IMG][IMG]
    aknific, MacCoy, marco55 and 5 others like this.
  8. Waterlooman A Fixture

Evening all - Five more KGL light rifles completed and ready to go in my box - more will follow (look out for the guy with an eye patch).

W.[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    MacCoy, marco55, stoffy01 and 5 others like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Nice looking rifleman , certainly good details and all with character .....they have a "Sharpe" look

Thanks for update

Happy benchtime

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  10. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow, such detail, in 28mm. Very good painting. Looking forward to your progress.
  11. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly, both sets of available figures in 28mm are bases around Sharpes 95th Rifles but the uniforms of the KGL and 95th arr so similar that they can be used for both.

W.
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  12. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you for your kind regards.

W.
  13. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Nicely done and particularly in such a small scale (not to mention a massive project). Can't wait to see the battlefield when you're finished.
    Rick
  14. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you so much, there are so many different stages to it - the figures then the Farm building that is presently an MDF flat pack, and then creating the scenery and blending it all together, and placing the figures by taking their basses off them and securing them down with a combination of pins in the feet/legs and CA glue to keep them fixed down, I have the case with base being made as I write.

W.
  15. Waterlooman A Fixture

Evening all, no pictures to add but I have been doing some touch up work on my French 54/55th Ligne regiments - I decided that the Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue is not dark enough, so I mixed in some Flat Black and gave it a good mix, this was added to my palette and diluted with water from our kettle, after drying with the hairdryer I decided to tidy up some of the White details - just adding some detail close to edges, I will also have to touch in the many buttons on the cuffs and tunic with my Brass paint and a few other details - I was less sharp first time around.

W.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    A fantastic project John! Painting quality is very nice and I look forward to your progress. I create a lot of small 28-32mm vignettes myself, but i would not have the patience or space for something this large. ;)

Cheers,
    Ken
  17. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly Ken, the display measures 3 feet by just under 2 feet just enough room to put the farm in at a slight angle with a bit of room at either end and a slight bit in the front, space limitations dictated how big it could be.

W.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. Waterlooman A Fixture

Here is a Superb video I have found of the 200th anniversay event of Waterloo over at Waterloo - wish I had gone -

W.

19. Waterlooman A Fixture

Evening all, I have moved over sides just for now as I have decided to have a re go of my 54/55th ligne regiment and my 1/2nd cuirassier's, I decided that the Dark Prussian Blue I had used on the tunics was not dark enough - so I mixed into my jar a far bit of Flat Black, this was then thoroughly mixed and shaken then after being fairly happy that it was a bit darker - I started re painting.
    Today I decided to do some re touch ups of some of the details as first time round they were a bit rough (practice makes perfect) I also decided to have a go at putting some details in the faces using Two/Three different shades/colours based around pink shades to give them some facial details (not easy at 28mm where even the finest brush is thicker than needed)
    I think they are an improvement though.
    [IMG][IMG]
    W.
    MacCoy, marco55, theBaron and 2 others like this.
  20. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good. I am struggling with 7 figures, so how you sustain interest in this many is impressive