1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Attack on La Haye Sainte at Waterloo in 28mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Waterlooman, May 9, 2021.

1. Waterlooman A Fixture

Evening all, I have started the orchard doors - I started off by sizing them up then I sat Two pieces of paper together then after marking the size - I cut through both pieces with my blade, next I squared up some thin wood stock and worked out the correct width and trimed away with my blade, a little sand then both edges where cut to length along with the top rail, I then fitted them on the paper square with the edges.
    I then I cut some paper strips for the planks on the long runs, these where cut the same width then glued down with a slight gap, next was the cross support planks - again these where cut to size and glued on.
    The bottoms where trimmed on the one door - still needs doing to the other.

W. IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg
    theBaron, Martin64, Nap and 3 others like this.
  2. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Good job W. Very convincing.
    David
  3. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly, will look ok with some Black paint and weathered.

W.
  4. Waterlooman A Fixture

IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

Abit more progress today - I put a couple of coats of Black on the doors then set them aside to dry, then I returned to my Cuirassiers I added abit more paint to finish them minus a few washes and dusting.

W.
    Martin64 and Merryweather like this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Love it , keep it up W!!!
    Nap likes this.
  6. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly.

W.
  7. Waterlooman A Fixture

IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG
    @David not sure if I posted these - re our chat about the interior of the Farm House, here are a few photos of my interpretation, was hard (Impossible) to know for certain the actual layout of the interior but I gave a good guess at how I thunk It might have looked.
    They show the kitchen with stoned floor and under stairs loo, and the upstairs with a partition wall and basic wood floor boards that I made narrower after that pic was taken.

W.
    Martin64, NigelR and Nap like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there Daniel

Have fun ...no matter what you paint

Nap
    Waterlooman likes this.
  9. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Understairs loo on 1815? How very modern.
    Looking forward to seeing more of this
    Great work keep it up
    Neil
  10. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    W,
    As a matter of interest, when I first posted about the three spiked French guns used in the barricade I did not know where Brendan Simms had referenced it from for his book.
    Having just re-read "The Reminiscences of Friedrich Lindau" again I found it there. Having been there in the KGL I suppose he can be relied on for the information; although where these three guns came from is beyond me. I have not read of and guns being taken or overrun at Quatre Bras and I don't suppose anyone in the Allied army had time to run any off during the hurried retreat of the 17th.
    By all account's though, it sounds like the barricade resembled more of a jumble of rubbish than any organized structure.

David
    Nap and Waterlooman like this.
  11. Waterlooman A Fixture

IMG_0377.jpg
    Evening all, doors painted and dusted - just needs gluing in place.

W.
    theBaron, Martin64, NigelR and 3 others like this.
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    You are a busy man, wow. Great work, W!
  13. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly.

W.
  14. Waterlooman A Fixture

2015_8336_l-Edit.jpg
    So next job will be to reach into my dio and fit the doors - then I will carry on with my figures - still not sure if I should add more 5th KGL (Red jackets) as in fairness there was far less of these as only One squadron was sent down compared to Four-Five of the Green jacket 1st and 2nd KGL Light.
    @David what do you think as I said above only the one Squadron of 5th Red jackets was sent down to support the 1st and 2nd KGL light (Green jackets).
    If you look at this painting done it shows an overwhelming amount of 1st and 2nd KGL and latter in the day some Nassau Troops where sent down as the fight for LHS was getting quite grim with a shortage of Rifle Ammo.

W.
    The Riveteer and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi W

Nice woodwork on those doors ......would they not be a little damaged with musket shot etc

Look forward to seeing the doors in place

Have fun

Nap
  16. Waterlooman A Fixture

Thank you kindly Nap, I did think about some damage on the outside of the one door, but they are just too delicate made from thin paper so I decided not to do so.

W.
    Nap likes this.
  17. Waterlooman A Fixture

IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0378.JPG
    Door/s placed, please excuse the lighting my dio is on my side board and the only lighting was off my optovisor.

W.
    Nap, Merryweather and theBaron like this.
  18. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now I understand why you made them out of paper...
    Nap likes this.
  19. NigelR A Fixture

They work well (y)
  20. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Well you asked for it!:LOL:

The following information fromMark Adkin's Waterloo Companion - if you only want one book on the subject this is it!
    The initial garrison (2nd Light KGL) - barely 400 men, (6 companies of about 65). Approx 200 in the orchard, 130 in the buildings and one company (approx 65) in the garden.
    Two companies of the 1st light battalion KGL also in the garden, each about 85 strong bringing the total there to about 200 - 235 total.
    The light company 5th line battalion KGL (red uniforms) approx 85 total all ranks.
    The light company 1/2 Nassau Regt - about 150 all ranks. (Adkin says these had red uniforms which I take to be a mistake as to my knowledge they were green).
    (Some Luneberg survivors would also be present - numbers unknown. ) lets say (my guess) 20 men

FLANQUER AND OFFICER 1ST NASSAU REGT - Copy.jpg SERGEANT 2ND NASSAU REGT - Copy.jpg
    FLANQUER /OFFICER 1ST NASSAU SGT 2ND NASSAU
    (from Haythornthwaite's Uniforms of Waterloo0)

Back to Adkin;- This gives;- 1.30-2.30 p.m. -400 men
    3.00-5.00 p.m. -500 men (the approx time of the 5th's arrival)
    5.00 - 6.00p.m -550 men
    6.00p.m. - 450 men

To my Maths this gives 85 red jackets to 740 green at any time after the 5th's arrival (not withstanding casualities at any one time) or 11.5%. So i think a 1 in 10 total ratio (for orchard ,garden and buildings would give
    a reasonable impression.

THE GATE LOOKS GREAT BY THE WAY!

David
    Nap and Merryweather like this.