1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Attaching a figure flush to the base

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by hypertex, Nov 30, 2015.

1. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    I'm working on my first full figure and I am struggling to figure out how to make the base. I've read that one mistake beginners make is to not have the figure's feet flush with the groundwork. That is, not floating above the ground. But I can't figure out how to do that.

I've made of couple of test bases using some Acrylic medium and some dirt, as well as Hydrocal and dirt. What should I do to get the feet flush? Should I stick the figure in the groundwork while it's still wet? I tried that and the groundwork stuck to the feet.

I would appreciate any ideas.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's something that really bugs me so I try to pay attention. . . . :cautious:

I usually end up drilling holes for the pegs first and then putting the figure into the soft base material. Drill the wooden base. Stick a couple of cocktail sticks in the holes temporarily and put on the groundwork then remove the cocktail sticks and add the figure before letting it dry. Remove and clean up the impressions left once its dry. (I use DAS for groundwork so it washes off easily and since the feet take a bit of a hammering I end up painting them again after the figure is fixed) Any slight gaps left when Aralditing the figure into position I fill with white glue + road dust or a smear of polyfilla

Hope that helps
    Paul
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    There's nothing worse than'floating' feet.
    What I do is always use Milliput as the foundation material for my bases.
    Even if I'm using wood bark to simulate stone I create a small pad of milliput and match it to the bark.
    Before it has fully cured I lightly dust it with talc and lightly impress the figures feet into it. After curing I decorate and finish the groundwork leaving the footprints clear.
    Having then drilled and pinned the figures feet I drill corresponding holes in the footprints. These are larger in diameter than the pins which allows me to fill them with putty just before adding the figure to the base having added Araldite or similar to the footprint.
    This should result in a solid and tight fit just leaving you to dust some groundwork colour onto the 'grounded' feet.
    Everyone has their own methods and it really is a case of considering how you plan the assembly of the final work, some prefer to finish a figure before doing the groundwork, whereas I always complete the groundwork first.
    One small addition you can add particularly for 90mm metal figures is when you glue your pin into the feet also glue in a length of wire, smear the pin with superglue and spiral the wire round the pin. Adds a bit of 'bite' to anchor the figure into the base.
    Cheers
    Derek