1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Athenian Warlord bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Theodoros, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    I started to paint in oils over acrylics, this nice sculpted bust by Young. I hope that it would be finished shortly...

Now I see that the light during the photo proccesing was too hard.

Any comments are, as always, welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    I like your fleshtones Theodoros, I disagree a bit for your choise to paint so much purple, it is very nice painted but it is too much for my taste. Looking forward to see it finished.
    Theodoros likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I really like this one. And i'm a fan of purple.

Marc
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Agreed!

Jay H.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice painting. I also like the purple.
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    The purple is visually appealing and one of my favorite colors, but I have to agree with Christos.
  7. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    I liked facial tone and gradation of armor very much.
    Indeed it's wonderful!

Mitsutaka
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice work and good choice of colour.

Cheers David
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I really like the look of your painting and the purple actually works for me.
  10. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Dear friends thanks for your intresting comments so far !

I know that purple to the linothorax armory is an unusual colour, different than the usual ones such as red, white, light blue, or black.
    I have to say that I choose this main colour considering that it was an existing and known to the ancient greeks. So, probably, greeks who loved the colourful clothes would use the purple too.
  11. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    i fully agree.we do know the marble statuets in an noble white.in ancient time those where highly painted over in the most vivid colours.purples greens yellows reds blues ect.
    i saw some time ago an interesting documention.they took old greek statues
    and searched with an special system on them for traces of ancient colouring.
    they found lots on them invisisble for the eye but still noticeable for the electronics.
    they did some reconstructions on plaster recasts.it was stunning to see how completly different those things must have looke when freshly made.
    so there are nothing to say against your version.its fully in the spectre of possible colour ranges.
    cheers
  12. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I like the tones in the face. It's interesting to see so many different approaches to a single figure. This is my first time seeing purple used in a Greek hoplite figure. But, as you said, it was definitely a color known to them.

For anyone interested, the purple dye came from a mollusk (bolinus brandaris). In ancient times only the wealthiest could afford it.
    Theodoros likes this.
  13. debrito A Fixture

Canada

Second that, special the facial tone.

Rod.
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice so far my friend, I would like to see it live for more commenting!!!
  15. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Φιλε Θεοδωρε,
    μου αρεσει παρα πολυ το βάψιμο στο μπούστο αλλά και στα χρωματα που εχεις επιλέξει, ιδίως το χρωμα του μωβ. Εχει δωσει ενα διαφορετικό χαρακτηρα στη μινιατουρα αυτή.
    Ηι Theodore
    I love the painting on the bodice and the colors you have selected, especially the color of purple. He gave me a different character in this miniature.

Alexandros
  16. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Some more brush strokes onto the Athenian. Painting the helmet the chiton and the eyes, weathering the decorative maeandros in his chest. Your comments are as always welcome.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Theodore he looks great Beutyful flestones and great 3D effect you have achived there.
  18. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Dimitri, I followed Danillo Cartacci's instructions, painting flesh with oils.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I think the colour choice is a personal one, to me it's a very well painted bust. The face is especially well done.
    Carl.
    Theodoros likes this.