1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Athenian Mercenary, Pegaso 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Don Well-Known Member

Lovely job on his kilt and leather armour. The colours work very well on him. Now waiting to see what you manage on the cloak edges and the sheild. Super!

Don
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Don. The next stage will require a lot of patience and a very steady hand.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    HI Tony,
    The close up pic really shows off your intricate paint work on the patterning. Its all coming together nicely
    Ben
  4. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Tony, you've sure raised the bar, this is awesome work! It seems a shame with this type of figure that you do such painstaking work on the back and then have to cover it with a cloak:(
    it really is beautiful!
    Mary
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Getting better all the time , very nice clean paint up
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ben, Mary & Ron, thanks very much for your comments.

I've just spent an epic 5 hours painting the blue and white fringe around the outside edge of the cloak tonight. My eyes are hanging out of my head now and its time for some well earned sleep. Hope you like my progress so far.

The shield is next.

Attached Files:

Tommi, mil-mart and Mark S like this.
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Eduardo, it certainly was hard work, but I'm pleased you think the result was good. I must admit I'm pretty happy with it.
  9. Mark S Guest

Good eyes for an old bugger.....
    That's just a superb effort Tony.What a beautiful result, well worth the time and patience.
    Well done mate, this is going to be a brilliant piece.
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    You werent joking as to the intracasy of the pattern. That looks pretty awesome and you should be pleased.
    Ben
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It's getting better and better.
    Great step forward.
    Looking forward to the next post.
  12. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    keeping going, it looks already great...(y)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Mark, thanks for your encouragement.

Thanks Ben, it's a pity you missed the club meeting last night. I'm looking forward to showing this piece once its finished.

Hi Marc, thanks mate. I've started painting the shield now so it wont be long before I post the next WIP pics. I've chosen an octopus design for the front of the shield so I can keep the blue and white colour theme going.

Hi Rodrigo, thank mate. I really appreciate your comments.
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony brilliant painting /colour choices and the detail work to the cloak just takes it to another level. Looking forward to following through to completion.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent paintjob, Tony! Lovely detail on the cloak! (y)

Eddy
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That freehand is a bit nice Tony.
    Lovely work,
    Carl.(y)
  17. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Ηι Τony!
    Very good in white and dyeing symmetric Meandros

Alexandros(y)
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is really taking shape Tony, it will be a beut !
  19. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Great job ! The pattern on the cloak looks particulary good.
    Simon
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Howdy Ken, thanks for your comments mate. I started work on the base and groundwork last night and will probably start painting the shield design tonight. I hope to have this figure finished by the weekend.

Thanks Eddy, I've added some weathering and staining to the cloak so its doesn't look so clean and pristine. I appreciate your comments mate.

Cheers Carl, the geometric pattern around the edge of the cloak was a bloody nightmare to paint, but I'm really glad I didn't bottle out and paint a plain edge. Once I got started it wasn't too difficult, but it did take a very long time and a lot of concentration.

Thanks Alex, of all the Ancient Greek geometrical patterns I could have chosen, this was the simplest for me to paint. I'm pleased you think I did a good job.

Thanks Ron, should look even better once the shield is on and the figure is mounted to the base.

Thanks Simon, I appreciate your comment and I'm pleased you like the pattern on the cloak.