1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Athenian Mercenary, Pegaso 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the first pics of my latest project; Pegaso's superb 75mm Athenian Mercenary IV Cent BC.

I've tried to stretch myself with the blue & white check pattern on the pteryges.

Hopefully once the sword arm, cloak and shield arm are attached it will start to make more sense.

The attached pics shows the shield design I'm considering doing - Pegasus.

Nothing is finished yet, and I'm still work on the face, which is difficult due to the helmet.

Hope you like it. As always, I welcome any comments, tips or suggestions.

IMG_5445.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5447.JPG IMG_5448.JPG pegasus.jpg
    Martin Vlcek, Mariner, abbo and 4 others like this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great so far Tony.
  3. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Beautiful work so far Tony.
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is looking good already Tony
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Tony, make sure that you pin this figure well to the base. I have one which when completed toppled forward because my display stand was tilted sightly forward-The centre of gravity of this figure is obviously quite critical-thought it worth mentioning-Keith
  6. kev Member

United-Kingdom
    hi Tony, it is looking really good so far, is the shield hand painted or transfer ?
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work so far Tony,like the blue & white colour scheme.

Cheers David
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Like what you are doing with this figure.
    In my opinion it is a great challenge painting this one in another color and pattern then black.

marc
  9. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Guy - thanks mate.

Dimitrios - thank you my friend.

Ron - thanks, still a long way to go.

Keith - thanks for the tip about pinning the figure well. I've already learned that lesson and taken the necessary precautions.

Kev - thanks mate. The shield hasn't been painted yet. When I do paint it, it will probably be by hand.

Hi David - thanks for your comment mate. I thought blue and white would look good as a colour combination with a little bit of bronze thrown in.

Hi Marc - yes I wanted to challenge myself and take my painting to the next level. The hard stuff will come when I attempt the intricate border pattern on the cloak.

Hi Eduardo - yes I agree, the eyes need to be finished. Thanks for your comment.
  11. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Wow Wow
    Hi Tony
    I like particularly the choice of colors this ....
    And I can not forget that this amazing miniature gave me a gold in Euromilitaire, and hope to you!!!

Alexandros
  12. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Really nice brush work on the skin Tony
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony, nice work on this one, I love the pattern you are using, colourful and challenging. The sheild will be a challenge too but I'm sure you will do a good job on it.
    I can see th etables at WASMEX filling up already
    Ben
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Alexandros, thanks for your comments my friend. I remember your version of this figure very well. It deserved its Gold Medal at Euro. I chose the blue and white colours to honour our Greek friends.

Hi Sam, thanks mate. Many, many coats of very dilute flesh paint and water to achieve that finish. Thanks for noticing.

Hi Ben, thanks mate. I'm doing my best to keep up with you but I'm sure when it comes to WASMEx you'll take all the chocolates, as usual. What I lack in quality I make up for in quantity.:D
  15. Mark S Guest

Looks great Tony.
    Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
  16. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great paintwork Tony!
    Looking forward to the finished piece.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks a great start Tony. The shield will be a challenge.
    Carl.(y)
  19. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice one Tony.Look forward to seeing him progress.
    Brian
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    IMG_5449.JPG Hi Mark thanks for your comments mate. Here are the latest pics, which brings us one step closer to the finale!

Thanks Alex, I appreciate your help with the shield designs my friend.

Thanks Marcel, I'm looking forward to that too.

Hi Carl, thanks mate. I'm really looking forward to painting the shield and creating a really strong image.

Cheers Brian, I hope you like these latest WIP pics.

As you can see, I've added the sword arm, the scabbard and the cloak. The cloak is shaded on the inside but just undercoated on the outside. I'm looking to do some kind of geometric pattern around the edge of the cloak.

I hope you like my progress so far

Attached Files:

YellowBear, sarouman and Don like this.