1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Assault Models Green Beret 1/16

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by newtonk, Mar 28, 2020.

1. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Figure 16008, I started it yesterday, cleaned up and completed the torso, not including the arms. The fit is perfect, hence I’m not worried about the arms being out or needing filler.

Will be finished in M81 woodland, having done multicam, digitcam, and both AOR1 and 2. Time for something different... I had contemplated desert tiger stripe but that is mostly CIA GRS. And as this guy has the shoulder patch of the commandos, I was guided by photos online of what they wear.

The detail is amazing, the magpul mag assist is printed hollow. Phenomenal.

8EEFF198-1C6B-4B2A-9FCA-47CB76B9D341.jpeg 36E53844-7978-4567-A899-8BDDA753BED9.jpeg
  2. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    The only detail I added was the wiring for the radio to the mike, and the aerial.

6BD7C363-F5DE-4840-95C7-FA28ECD44090.jpeg
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Great to see NZ modeller posting and what a detailed piece you have

Look forward to possibly a SBS on the woodland camo ...it's going to look great

Interested in how your going to do the goggles as well

Why not enter something into FOTM as well as voting in previous months comp

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Sgt. Red and Chris Oldfield like this.
  4. archimede Active Member

Italy
    Ottima stampa! E 'possibile sapere di più sul metodo della stampa a vuoto? Per esempio quanti HP deve avere la pompa? Grazie.
  5. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Well, seeing that there is interest, I’ll post a sbs. As for the glasses, I was thinking blue with a tinge of black in it. Gloss, too. Fotm? I’m not in the league!

Ok, I’m off to find a satisfactory sand colour, because I need to get that correct first.
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  6. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Base coat over Tamiya fine primer. I tried for a sand colour with a hint of green to it, but am happy with how it came out. I’ll let this cure over night, and study woodland in the mean time. I’ll be using the Tamiya NATO colours for the green, brown, and black. Not adjusted for scale. I’m tossing up whether to spray and mask, or just go wild with the brush. I’m tending more toward the brush with a suitable amount of retarder in the paint. Using a acrylics, I don’t want it drying on the brush. The lighting really alters the colours. That’s two different halogen lights in my workshop. Odd.

25CB420F-9EE7-4680-9C7C-8F61BACECC87.jpeg 44E44E41-BAFD-4E35-8964-8FE7020EDEA5.jpeg
    Chris Oldfield, Nap and 1969 like this.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to watching this progress.
    Steve
  8. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    The green is down. Being the second of three colours, it is tempting to go overboard, but I’ll see how it is looking once the brown has been added. The black squiggles will be last. It is looking like it’s lacking green, but I’ll wait, I can always add more later. Happy to take feedback and pointers

3C787190-E75C-4CB3-A1BC-E5F83DBE2ED8.jpeg 143745C4-C433-4F52-849A-2E9C415B32DE.jpeg
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Thanks for the updates looking good , never really done camo so this is interesting to see

Will you shadow and highlight each colour as you go ?

Thanks for sharing.

Happy benchtime

Stay say

Nap

PS No league in FOTM ....it's for all ...even me ...lol
  10. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Good evening gents, tonight’s update is brown. I was just starting to get a “feel” for the pattern, when I ran out of figure. So to speak... I’m not going to panic just yet, there is still black to add. And I intend to go back over with the green to balance out any oddities. Then the real work starts with the chest rig. Stand by, stand by I think it needs more squiggling and blotches. Having compared the figure to images, I’ll be correcting the blotches into squiggles tomorrow.

13AF3631-EA75-484F-A53B-21ABF679AF73.jpeg A66411BE-F6DB-45A0-ACAD-A8BDCDF6C3F8.jpeg
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  11. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    This is as far as I get this evening, a few black squiggles before being called away... more tomorrow as I’ve taken the day off of work. Not for this, but thanks to Coronavirus it will be...

C2FD4EA7-AC19-44B0-8CE9-0ADDCCE74956.jpeg
    Nap likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Coming on nicely there , interesting seeing it being built up with the colours

thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  13. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    No progress today, will get back to it in the morning as I’m on late shift over the weekend.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Stay safe

Nap
  15. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Made it through my duty weekend, and back at the bench; thanks Nap.

A little progress tonight, colouring in the shoulders, and started on the chest rig. I did go back and touch up the camo on the legs. Only for balance and consistency of pattern.

FF8E0A47-D08C-4B9D-87C5-C8629633F207.jpeg 1C419E58-7FE6-4306-8750-C760C00CDA7E.jpeg
    KenBoyle, Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  16. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Very neat camo painting, like it a lot.
  17. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thanks, Chris; I always have my doubts about my work, and don’t want to “over camo” things. I started out with some detail painting tonight... But had a minor set back...will have to disguise this with some mud further down the track... somehow got paint on my thumb, and didn’t notice until it was too late.

1F1E379B-2C9E-4010-9199-E4A8A70A5743.jpeg
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Right, after a couple of late shifts at work, and being ambushed with jobs at home, I’m back in the saddle.so to speak...

Looking at the sleeves, the folded back portion in particular, the underside is a light gray when compared to the out side of the camo. So, using my Tamiya HG airbrush with a very thinned light gray, I tried to replicate that here. There is a fair amount of work to be done yet, so stay tuned!

AD72B4C3-15D1-4117-8859-F9562BAF1318.jpeg 63F165CB-640E-4732-BFF6-DC1580D3CD27.jpeg
    KenBoyle, Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Progress indeed , love the way your explaining the painting ..it's starting to look great

Is the equipt also camo ?

Following with much interest

Thanks for sharing

Happy bench time

Stay safe

Nap
  20. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Had a very pleasant Scottish drink, Pink Floyd playing, and a solid hour at the bench uninterrupted. Did some more detail painting and was looking for a good coyote tan... any suggestions? I’m tending towards a shade of dark yellow, which comes up well with a brown wash. Or, the colour of the pouch at the top of the right leg. Work is about to get hectic as I represent management across more shifts. Covering early and late shifts, seven days is not sustainable, so the hour tonight was a great respite. Ok, back to it.

158B9DC0-F311-4B1F-ACB7-EB12D1FB7C4A.jpeg 3930D421-5B8A-40E6-B98C-D452027479AD.jpeg
    KenBoyle likes this.