1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ashigaru

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Here is my latest painting venture, something I have been working my way up to for a very long time now, as you can see I have nearly finished the face, but before getting to the final touches, I decided to get down to painting the silk on his trousers under the armour. As you can see i picked a very nice pattern of orange dragonfly’s on bark blue silk, Its just at the first stages and needs the orange highlighting and a wash of sepia to add a little more depth to the folds. Please tell me what you think...... all comments welcome

Dave

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. mahross New Member

Dave - Looking great. You sorted out your base?

Ross
  3. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    Samurai is one of my favourite subject - looking good so far ;)
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Dave..............he is one of my favorites
  5. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice painting. I like your choice of colors.
  6. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Those trousers look gorgeous Dave..
    I'd love to see them a little closer...the colours look excellent.

All the best mate.

Roy.
  7. Calvin Member

I have not enough patient (and eyesight...) to do works like your, so everytime I see one I get fascinated.
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful work man! I love these samurai subjects as they have so many beautiful painting options! Keep it up!
  9. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent stuff Dave. Those trousers are superb.

John
  10. bagijiny Well-Known Member

South-Korea
    Hi Dave
    Really good job!!!
    I think your work is very nice.
    Good luck!!!! :lol:

Regadrs,

Man jin
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, Great paintjob.~Gary
  12. zyclyon Active Member

Singapore
    Hi Dave,

you've got a nice paint job going on. Keep it up!

Calvin
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Dave,

This is excellent. No other words for it.

Marc
  14. jasonballamy Member

Hi Dave

Although the painting of the pattern is very well executed it is unlikely that a low ranking ashigaru would have been dressed in such richly coloured clothing. I feel that a lot of people associate samurai subjects with bright colourful patterned clothing, this is not helped by the figure in question being based on a somewhat over armoured re-enactor, a simple okashi gusoku and jingasa would have been more likely attire.

Jason
  15. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys for all your comments, I will add some more as I do it......Dave

Hi Geoff

Yes this is the Pegaso 90mm figure, its absolutely superb to paint, but definately one to take your time on. You have just gotta get this one out and give ita go, I’m loving this one...

Hi Jason

I have been lead to understand that Ashigaru were low ranking, but not totally poor people and some were local nobelmen with some social standing and the nature of the material was totaly personal to the man, but having said that the design I have chosen is a very universal print of one colour on to one colour silk.

Mine is based on a figure of a ‘Shimazu Arquebusier’ from around 1600...

Dave

[IMG]
  16. callum Member

Looking very good Dave, it may just spur me on to crack on with my own version if I can leave the scuplting alone for a while. Excellent work. :lol:

Regards Callum.
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous painting, Dave!

all the best,
    Dan
  18. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

An update on this figure, I have just got to run a couple of washes over the blues to tone them down a bit, please take a look, all comments welcome

Dave

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  19. Don Freeman New Member

In my humble opinion, I think it is excellent work, and I look forward to seeing it as it progresses and the finished work.

Don Freeman