1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by balder, Jan 14, 2012.

1. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi! I need to take a break from painting so I decided to start on my next conversion project and wanted to post it. I'm going to do Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth at the ford of Bruinen (movie version).
    The first picture is of the 2 Lost Battallion mannequins I'll be using. My sculpting skills are in no way good enough yet to do the figures completely from scratch.
    The second picture is the beautiful horse from Michael Roberts that willl become Asfaloth.
    The last picture shows roughly what I plan to do. The figures are wired at the joints so I can still pose them.
    My plan is to first get the horse done with saddle and bridle so I can pose the figures properly on it.
    I am also looking forward to the base. I have never done any water effects before. But the base is a long ways off for now.
    Thanks for looking, Gerald

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks interesting Gerald.
    Carl.(y)
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool, I'm looking forward to this! (y)
  4. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    WOW!

You could have fun with the water effects!

Cheers,
    Jon.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cool concept. As a huge LOTR fan I'll be following your progress with interest.:D
  6. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  7. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    I always loved the scene in the books. I can understand why they changed it for the film. They needed to give Arwen a larger role, and Glorfindel was not a major player in the Lord of the Rings. I always felt Frodo's defiance at the ford showed how strong he was. Having Arwen protect him made Frodo look weak. All that being said. I am not trying to take away form what you are doing it was just a pet peeve of mine from the film. I am actually looking forward to watching this come together. I like what you have done so far.
  8. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hello planeteers. I finally have some progress shots. I've been working on the horse tack. The straps are cut from doubled over masking tape. I hate working with thin metal. I find it hard to glue together well. Buckles are made from various thickness of wire.The bit is soldered together thin wire. Everything actually buckles together.
    I'm going to work on the saddle a bit more. I have to add the edge of a sheepskin underpad. Then I'll start to fit the figures (Frodo first) and get to work sculpting the clothing.
    That's all for now, Gerald

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. rossgary Member

United-Kingdom
    Can't wait to see this one finished!(y)
  10. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hello everyone. Here's my progress so far. I have been working on Frodo. The head needs a lot of work (although much will be covered by his cloak and hood). It kind of looks like he's had one too many from the Green Dragon Inn :lol:.

Attached Files:

11. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  12. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant stuff. A hobbit in 120mm! Great stuff.
  13. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    A hobbit in 120 mm means nearly a 1:1 scale :whistle::ROFLMAO:

Great idea and I like very much what I can see
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Indeed a great idee. Like what you have done so far.

marc
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Awesome, this will look great when done. I love your details such as the texture on the under blanket
    Ben
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent so far. In particular, I like the job you did on the horse tack. What do you glue the tape with, some kind of superglue?

Colin
  17. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks for all the encouraging comments.
    Colin, the browband and girth are superglued on. The rest buckles together. I'm hoping to leave the rest loose to make it easier to paint. Even the saddle is loose. It fits like a glove and slips right off.
    Gerald
  18. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hello planeteers! I have finally had some time to work on my project after a very busy few weeks.
    Anyways, here's my progress. I've started Frodo's cloak and started working on Arwen's outfit.
    Let me know what you folks think.

Attached Files:

nelly-samy, Aveleira and gordy like this.
  19. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Can't wait to see this done!! Unfortunately there are very few LOTR figures, and it will be great to see such a work.

Good Luck

Pedro
  20. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work, this looks to be something rather special when complete.

Lew J.
    sarouman likes this.