1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Artjom laughs...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yep - I think tomorrow...

Cheers
    anstontyke, Oda and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    14. Day, March 28, 2018

The second cheek...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

As you can see, I have clearly withdrawn the "depth" of laugh lines on both sides!

I think, his face is coming to "life" slowly...

Cheers
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Clearly the laughter lines are looking good , I see where your heading but think I might take the cheeks back a little looking at the moment .

When the rest is painted it will I am sure look less rosy

I like the highs you have achieved .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    anstontyke, Oda and Martin Rohmann like this.
  4. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Someone want my brushes? :)
    Lively, very lively, and you only have the eyees and cheeks! :woot:
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    There is a lot on the photo! These are four parts "carmine red" and one part "Cobalt Violet Tone" - the effect only violet in the picture!

Cheers
  6. Oda A Fixture

Martin your SBSs are turning out to be some of the most enjoyable pieces for following on PF not to mention (once more) that your documentation is the very definition of what historical modelling is (or should be) all about!!

Oda.
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks for your kind words, Oda!!! (y)

-------------------------------------------------

15. Day, March 29, 2018

I have just finished with the forehead, the nose and the chin!

As for the painting of the chin, I have oriented myself to the painting and incorporated there a little red touch, as Repin has done ...:

[IMG]

For the nose of our hero - which I absolutely want to have like this! - again the trunk of Modest Mussorgsky was the template...:

[IMG]

What shall I say: So far, I am veeeery satisfied with the face!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

In today's pictures you can see - I think - quite well, that on the cheeks red and not violet can be seen.

Missing for the finished face are now only the ears, the mouth, the eyebrows and the mustache. But for the Easter Holidays (unfortunately!) excellent painting weather is promised ...!

Meanwhile:

Have a relaxed Good Friday!

Cheers
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Oh YES , YES , YES ....that's come together now the flesh looks great , with the cheeks being as you said .

Love that nose !!

Thanks for sharing

Have a good Friday yourself

Nap

PS Just as a matter of interest how long did it take to reach this point in the painting ?
    anstontyke and Oda like this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    For all (incl. the first run) 15 days à 2 hrs.

Second run alone (new start) only painting 4 days à 2 hrs. each.

Cheers
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    16. Day, March 30, 2018

Today I started my painting work with a little fine tuning!
    I've been revising all the things that have been said or emailed to me in the past few days - and/or those that have caught my eye as "in need of revision":

1. The forehead has been revised

2. The eyes were reworked; the bags are now clearer and the smile lines in the
    eye wrinkels I have again mitigated something.

3. The highlights on the yoke legs were reduced, but set a bit clearer.

4. I have softened the nasolabial folds - before that there was only a dark line.

5. On the cheeks, the reddish area was pulled up to the cheekbones, as in the template.

6. The nose was a bit too purple - now it looks dark red.

All this took plenty of time - but now I am much happier!

Then I have with these colors ...

[IMG]

... painted the eyebrows.

Maybe I should write better of "eye scrub", because our friend has there a real wood of hairs!

[IMG]

In the picture they appear pitch black - but if you look at a real older man with such eyebrows up close, then you notice that slowly but surely a few gray hairs have spread ...:

[IMG]

That's how I painted it.

The next step was the painting of the mighty mustache of Artjom. It is white-gray.

I did that with these colors ...:

[IMG]

However, if you look closely, then you cann notice over the mouth a few yellowish hairs!

[IMG]

These are of course no remnants of formerly blond hair, no, these are discolorations that are caused by nicotine!

Because our friend not only likes to drink, as his nose tells us, but he also smokes violently!

The - in Europe new - tobacco smoking was at that time with the Cossacks great fashion, without his "Burulka" was a Zaporozhian, so to speak, only half dressed.

Here is a contemporary illustration of Zaporozhian Cossacks, the guy in the middle holds such a "Burulka" in his hand ...:

[IMG]

And here is a drawing that shows such a pipe ...:

[IMG]

Incidentally, "Burulka" means "pipe" (literally "tube").

These were hand-made pipe pots made of baked clay, in which a hollowed wicker or reed was inserted.

These old "Burulka" heads are shown in the Cossack Museum on the Dnjepr island of Chortyza ...:

[IMG]

Of course, Ilya Repin also considered the "Burulka" in his painting! Ataman Ivan Sirko is just using it...:

[IMG]

And with heavy smokers, the nicotine in tobacco smoke will discolour the mustache over time, albeit to varying degrees, as these three pictures show us ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So I grabbed those colors ...

[IMG]

... and the nicotine discoloration in the beard also painted, clearly visible, but yet restrained.

That's what our hero's face looks like now ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Next step will be his mouth.

Cheers
    anstontyke and Oda like this.
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    17. Day, April 1, 2018

First two corrections:

1. The bags have been designed differently - now they come better and not so warty overloaded.

2. The nasolabial folds were shaded downwards - I had previously forgotten that and afterwarts seen in the pictures.

Then I have painted the mouth of our hero!

[IMG]

But let's have first a look at some old men:

Even from a meter away, the - actually fleshy red - oral cavity Looks already "black" ...:

[IMG]

And with pure black I have painted it.

Next point: The teeth.

At first glance, they are neither in Repin's model nor in Pavol's bust, but they do exist! But they do!

However, teeth of old people were no longer radiant white, but rather yellowish! Especially in the 17th century, when "bleaching" tooth creams and other remedies were not invented ...:

[IMG]

Consequently, I have taken these colors ...:

[IMG]

Then we have the tongue. It is clearly visible in the dark oral cavity (on the painting and in reality) by its relatively bright pink-red!

[IMG]

I painted it with these colors ...:

[IMG]

It should be noted that each tongue has - more or less pronounced - a central depression formed by the two lateral muscles:

[IMG]

This depression should also be presented.

Finally, the lips. They usually have a similar colort as the tongue, but at old people often more browned ...:

[IMG]

I used the same colors as for the tongue ...

[IMG]

... and the brown content of the base color increased a bit.

However, there is still a typical feature to be considered at old people, namely the distinct "nicks" or cross-grooves, especially in the - visible at the bust - lower lip!

Good to see here ...:

[IMG]

And here even better ...:

[IMG]

So I did not paint my lower lip "in one piece", but with many small parallel lines in always slightly varying shades.

The last two rounds were done with the two brightest mixtures, whereby I also worked out the lights on the lower lip with the strokes.

So far the theory. And now to practice ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And for those of you who are asking, "Well ... and where are the teeth?"

Here they are...:

[IMG]

Incidentally, "Artjom" laughs quite clearly from this perspective!

All I had to do was to cut down the head and tilt it back by about 20-25 degrees.

But I leave that now ...!

Cheers
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    18. Day, April 3, 2018

Neck finished, double chin finished, ears finished - head/face ready!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    You have brought that face to life
    Oda, anstontyke and Martin Rohmann like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Been away after nearly 3 days of food poisoning !! ( not from SWMBO I hasten to add )

Glad you took the bags under the eyes back a bit ..less stark

I can see the teeth but perhaps a little more definition in colour on the lower lip ..just my look at it

As said the face is brought to life now

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    19. Day, April 4, 2018

The painting by Ilya Repin shows a very wide range of garments that were once worn in the "wild field", the Zaporozhian Cossack area of today's southern Ukraine.

This also applies to the caps that are shown there ...:

[IMG]

The "Burulka" smoking Ataman Ivan Sirko wears a "Kolpak" cap, a headdress of the Polish-Lithuanian upper class - although without feather decoration, which actually belonged to it ....:

[IMG]

The Cossack on his right seems to be one of those whom the Zaporozhians call "the nude," that is, one who is still without property, and who may not be among them for long - perhaps a runaway serf or a fled criminal (or both!). because he is wearing only a tattered jacket and with him it has so far been only a simple barrette-style cloth cap ...

The boy with the yellow cap fur-lined at the edge, in turn, has robbed a member of the upper class of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - or a soldier:

He wears a so-called "Czapka" with square expiring headboard made of fabric. The golden agraffe, which actually belongs to it, he has probably brought through ...:

[IMG]

Our fat friend, on the other hand, has put on a soft white lambskin cap, a so-called "Papacha" or "Papakha" ...:

[IMG]

Incidentally, the white of the cap is by no means exaggerated, as the lambs of the sheep that used to appear in Ukraine, a "Merino" sub-type...

[IMG]

... showed (and show) a very dense white coat ...:

[IMG]

The "Papacha" is not decorated with a simple fabric cloth cap but with a big red "wing".

To the "wing" we come in detail tomorrow, today the lambskin is first painted "white".

Whereby I have not put "white" in quotation marks for no reason, because of course the coat is not completely white, as the famous comparison "lamb in the snow" shows ...:

[IMG]

Let's get started!

First of all, the Papacha will not be white, but black and brown!

[IMG]

I first brushed it with a very thin espresso colored broth to create optical depth ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

I see, "Artjom" a black Papacha would be good too!

But it should be "white"!

I picked out these colors ...

[IMG]

... and started to brush the cap carefully.

After the first run it looked like that - one can already see where the journey should go ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

All in all, I needed twelve passes, with the color getting a little brighter with each pass until I liked the result.

As our friend has pushed his papacha back a bit, the area above the forehead receives the most light - and the deepest shadows in the neck area are near the "wing".

Here are two pics which I made deliberately in backlight, where you can see the distribution of light and shadow quite well ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Only the last run of my "brushing" then pure white for the brightest lights was used ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

So much for today.

Cheers
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

EVERYTIME I look at our Cossack ...he lives even more .....the work on the headwear looks really effective , 12 plus passes ...worth the time doing so

A bit way off but are you keeping to the clothing colours as per painting ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda and anstontyke like this.
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yes I will!

However, the matter is a little more complicated:

Last summer, I researched for weeks what original garments Ilja Repin depicted in his painting - and I found them all, with 95 percent probability.

An example:

If you look at the kaftan, it only looks red patterned in the first moment ...:

[IMG]

But there is actually a colorful floral and tendril pattern on a red background...:

[IMG]

And I want to paint this original pattern ...

[IMG]

It is similarly with the shirt and the coat, so I think the face was the simpler part of the figure ...

Cheers
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Goodness that's going to be impressive when painted , very flamboyant

Something to look forward to

Nap
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany

... and you have not even seen the templates for the shirt and the sash, Kev!

The whole thing can also become a real drama ...! :nailbiting:

But:

So I painted the kaftan 12 years ago on my self-sculpted figure ...

[IMG]

... and that's what it looks like at the boxart of the figure of "Irbis" ...:

[IMG]

Both tooo simple and the second one moreover sheer fantasy.

One thing is clear:
    I will need a lot of time for doing this.
    Cheers
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Kaftan, shirt or sash ..it matters not ..your research will be as accurate as humanly possible

Bring it on but first other area's to deal with ...lol

Nap
    Oda, Martin Rohmann and anstontyke like this.