1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Article or video link to high quality faces in oils

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by DBenz, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DBenz Member

Hi,
    I have tried various combinations of words of oil painting scale miniatures faces scale modelling figures and there is not one article or video showing a step by step on face painting in oils, its all about 2D canvas , surely someone by now has shown how its done ? All I ever find is acrylic this and acrylic that, even though I use the word oil and dont mention acrylic, typical internet ignorance of specific search terms at play, forever finding acrylic articles and the results are rubbish compared to oils.
    I need to find a video or article on face painting in oils where the end result is something of award winning status to send to someone, I found one but the image of the end result was something I wouldnt want as an end result !
    I was told to use Titanium white, yellow ochre, a red and maybe ultramarine blue, thats a careful mix, allowing variation for ones exact caucasian flesh tone. I see also a simple burnt sienna and white midtone step by step but would prefer the mix above allowing for more variation initially.

Cheers

DBenz
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    These might be of some help

Nap
  3. DBenz Member

Hi,
    Thanks, the Gunter Prien is GOOD, its the only one after a further 5 hrs of searching I found after posting this, some more like that welcome, but there just are not any on the internet, its flooded with acrylic painting and it just doesnt match oils for finesse, visible colour transitions tide marks sudden change in colour or semi sudden evident in all works, the Penguin is looking like an acrylicy face, stylised colours, shadows especially, lacks true blending between shadows and midtones, instead of a careful mm by mm working over the face blending with a 000 brush tip he is realising that acrylics dry quick, going with retarder and out goes finesse, missing areas. , bang crash wallop mode. Quickie figure faces though is as far removed from competition winning face as anything could be., all suffering liver failure.
    DBenz
  4. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi!

For Caucasian skin, with oil paints (different brands) Milan Dufek ("Taiko" here on PF) uses Yellow Ochre, Red Earth, and Cobalt Blue, as primary colors. He also uses Titanium White, Brown Madder, Natural Burnt Umber, Burnt Umber and Naples Yellow, that he adds to the mix of colors (these mainly for shadings & highlights) .

Check this video, where he explains his method, step by step:

The final figure (and some excerpts from the entire painting process), fully painted here:

Verlinden used to use the following oil paints, also for Caucasian skin tones (as far as I'm aware of there are no videos of him painting; the following list is in one of his books) :

- Burnt Sienna
    - Yellow Ochre
    - Raw Umber
    - Flake White
    - Cadmium Red
    - Cadmium Yellow

I believe there are many other suggestions from other members of PF, if you do some research here (mainly on the Painting Techniques sub-forum) you'll find quite a few results.

Cheers!

Dolf
    Nap likes this.
  5. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada