1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "Archeon"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Jun 1, 2015.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Just finished a JMD Fantasy figure that was in resin and very highly detailed. I have not seen many of these painted up but it was a fun figure to do. The kit came with a metal rod for the staff of the "Axe" thinga me jig weapon. the problem was that the metal had to be cut for the top section and the bottom section that took some thinking about. It seemed that the slightest touch to the top axe blade would break the glue connection, probably while packing him in the travel boxes to shows.!!!!!:LOL: The metal was too thick to drill out the handle in the hand and insert the metal rod.:nailbiting:
    So I reverted back to My aircraft modelling days and decided to use Stainless Steel telescopic tubing of which I have plenty of sizes. I drilled out the handle in the hand and inserted the small section of rod that the stainless tubing of the axe shaft would fit over.

archeonedt1.jpg
    This also worked out well for the axe head and allowed me to paint it separately. The tubing was cut to the appropriate sizes and painted as wood and then every thing was assembled. This gave a much more stable joint than just glue:)
    archeonedt2edt.jpg

I used the colour wheel for inspiration on the colours to harmonize the whole figure. The axe head has a slight purple tinge and the base cement work has a little purple and blue veils to simulate rough marble colouring.
    archeonedt6edt.jpg

archeonedt4edt.jpg
    archeonedt5edt.jpg

archeonedt7edt.jpg

finally a closer full front.
    archeonedt8edt.jpg

All comments are willing and greatfully accepted and I move on the the next project.
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    John
    Joe55, sippog, Mark S and 3 others like this.
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks superb John (y)

I don't think my imagination would stretch to the corset/cricket box combo but each to their own. Some people have strange things going on in their heads ;)
    John Bowery likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work John, a nice fig. to let your imagination run wild.
    John Bowery likes this.
  4. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Is this figure still available? Great paint job!
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Great paintwork on this figure.
    I like the colors choice.
    Ciao by Maco
    John Bowery likes this.
  6. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Superb job John - really like the colour choice of the green with the complementary orange and the purple/red combo! You've painted a lot of character into the face as well. Like it!

Cheers,
    Brian
    John Bowery likes this.
  7. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely painted - and imaginitive base. You obviously had fun (y)
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Kevin,
    You might find some for sale at shows that dealers may have in inventory, or modelers decreasing their grey army but JMD are no longer in business. Unfortunate as they did some nice castings.
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    John
  9. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some clean, neat paint work on this colorful dude John (y)!

These kind of figures allow you to experiment and go crazy with the colors.

Joe
    John Bowery likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks great in my opinon. Like the neoncolors.

Marc
    John Bowery likes this.