1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Aquilifer,1century A.D.— Linjo Models Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by meizi, Mar 10, 2011.

1. meizi Active Member

China
    "Aquilifer, 1century A.D."
    1/9 in scale resin, 12 parts
    Sculpted by Chunmei Chou
    Painted by Hong Wei
    Email: linjomodels@sina.com

[IMG]
    Linjo Models released a new model Aquilifer 1century A.D.. Sculpted by Chunmei Chou and painted by Hong Wei.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    All Linjo Models kits come packaged in a sturdy black cardboard box with the parts sandwiched between layers of foam. In the top photo you can see the thick top foam removed to see the contents of the kit. The bottom photo shows the parts removed for inspection.

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    These kits bring us a facial portion and his helmet.

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    Above you see the four sides of the chest portion of the bust .

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]
    The above photos shows the dry-fitting of the helmet and the face to the chest.

[IMG] [IMG]

T2c5JEXkFXXXXXXXXX_!!89996371.jpg

Above you see the completed bust with the 12 parts all together.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi ,
    Nice looking bust , and I like the way the pictures have been done , a bust with lots of pieces as well !!.

Nap
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you for posting Mei Zi (y)
  4. winston Active Member

France
    Thanks for the post, great job!!!
  5. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    good to see that the lower mandible side panels are seperate parts.because i think they look odd.i would simply let them off.
    but parts are loking really fine.
    cheers
  6. meizi Active Member

China
    Thank you for your attention markus! Maybe they look a little odd,but they're essential, I think the aquilifer needs them……:)
    Thanks to all here! It's our honor to receive your agreements and suggestions, and even different views about the models, for only in that way can we do better.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This looks very good. Casting is excellent.
    Thanks for bringing this up.
  8. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    what is shown on your site and here looks all the way clean and crisp.that the parts are seperate will make painting much easier.in short very well engeneered and clean casting
    like the range an lot
    cheers
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    This bust reminds me allot of the old Seil Signifer bust. Thanks for the review!

Jay H.
  10. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    This Is nicely cast and the range looks promising and I wish Linjo all the best for the future, my only reservation is that he does appear to be asian, which does not work for me for a roman of this period - I hate to be controversial I do not wish to appear rude.

the quality looks great , just misplaced in region and time
  11. Figurini Member

France
    for me it's a copy. Exactly the lion and some other parts.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Sure don't buy this last bust.
  12. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's similar, but not the same. What happened to the Seil moulds?

Mike
  13. meizi Active Member

China
    Hello Mike,
    We are a new company called Linjo Models. We have our own sculptor and brand. We release our own models.
    Linjo
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My question was a general one, not aimed at you or your new bust. I wish you well with your new company.

Mike
  15. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    For what it is worth I strongly disagree that this is a copy / recast, there are clear differences not least in the busts orientation.

I think that a new manufacturer who clearly is reaching out to this community and is passionate about the hobby and his venture would not be so foolish to release recasts of other peoples work on this forum...

As said the quality looks great and I think these guys will make quite an Impact, I for one will be supporting them as I think there may be some original and welcome suprises in the future
  16. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    The model is quite obviously not a "re-cast". It might share a similar inspiration, though. It seems to have been inspired by the aquilifer re-enactor from the Roman re-enactment group "Fectio". However, there are dangers in uncritically following re-enactors, as the post by "pinsel" highlights:

I agree. At the very least the lower teeth could be discarded. They do not match any known Roman image of a soldier wearing an animal skin.

Those who are interested in the evidence might like to examine closely the following representative image (Praetorian signiferi on Trajan's column, Rome, early 2nd century). This image is entirely typical. I only chose this one because it's one of the best Roman images of men wearing what are clearly supposed to be lion skins, but this example could be multiplied at length:

[clickable thumbnail]
    [IMG]

There are a great many sculptural representations from Roman times of standard-bearers and trumpeters wearing animal skins. Not a single one of them has the animal's teeth, or the lower jaw, in place. The Romans always show the men wearing the skin like a simple hood as shown in the photo'.

This is always the case whether the image is the creation of the most talented monumental sculptor working in the finest marble in Rome or a ham-fisted provincial hacking away at a lump of limestone in Lower Germany. This is not just "opinion". This real consistency in the various representations is remarkable, and indicates the existence of an actual Roman tradition.

It is good that the teeth are separate parts. Those interested in a model based on the real evidence can easily omit them, those who don't mind can add them as desired.
    Chris K likes this.
  17. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    yes indeed i have the same oppinion.
    the thing i like to ask are the phalera.
    normal one thinks at signifers or standart bearers as veteran soldiers which one could think in an middle rank of say an veteran sergeant.
    i am not sure if those did wear phalera.i know the did get torques and bracelets
    but not sure if they where awared with phalera.
    i thought they belonged to the officers only?
    but i hasten to add that iam not sure here
    cheers
  18. meizi Active Member

China
    Hello Mike,thank you for your wishes!