1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Apoxie for sculpting. Which type?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Jan 8, 2004.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Figureteers,

Several members (Jim Cox, John Long?) mentioned Apoxie putties a while ago.

I gather there are several varieties. What are the differences between them in term of texture, handling and use?

I'd like to try them out but would need your expertise to know which one I have to order.

Quang
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Figureteers,

Several members (Jim Cox, John Long?) mentioned Apoxie putties a while ago.

I gather there are several varieties. What are the differences between them in term of texture, handling and use?

I'd like to try them out but would need your expertise to know which one I have to order.

Quang
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Quang, Don't bother with Apoxie Clay. Get the Apoxie Sculpt. I think they have gray and white, but may just have white now. Either is fine. Come to think of it they may have several colors. It's a lot like Magic-Sculp, but not as stiff and more sticky. I also found the white to be fairly flexible when set, while still retaining sandibility not found in Duro. If you like Magic-Sculp, then you'll be pleased with Apoxie Sculpt.
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Quang, Don't bother with Apoxie Clay. Get the Apoxie Sculpt. I think they have gray and white, but may just have white now. Either is fine. Come to think of it they may have several colors. It's a lot like Magic-Sculp, but not as stiff and more sticky. I also found the white to be fairly flexible when set, while still retaining sandibility not found in Duro. If you like Magic-Sculp, then you'll be pleased with Apoxie Sculpt.
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang,

I use the AVES white and I am really happy with it. I am playing around now with the Miliput but as of now I am a happy camper with AVES! I know CRM hobbies here in St Louis will mail order overseas and for a pound of the AVES I think it is $10.

Joe
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang,

I use the AVES white and I am really happy with it. I am playing around now with the Miliput but as of now I am a happy camper with AVES! I know CRM hobbies here in St Louis will mail order overseas and for a pound of the AVES I think it is $10.

Joe
  7. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

The only putties I use I believe you would already be familiar with (A&B, Kneadatite, Miliput and recently Majic Sculpt - which is fast becoming my favorite ;) ). Don't know if these are 'apoxie' putties or not - I'm fairly ignorant on the subject.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you need any samples of what I got though, just say the word.

-jim cox
  8. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

The only putties I use I believe you would already be familiar with (A&B, Kneadatite, Miliput and recently Majic Sculpt - which is fast becoming my favorite ;) ). Don't know if these are 'apoxie' putties or not - I'm fairly ignorant on the subject.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you need any samples of what I got though, just say the word.

-jim cox
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
  11. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey Bob & Joe,

I checked out the AVES site - look good. (y)

They offer a whole line of different products. I take it you use the 'appoxie sculpt'? It looks like this is available in many colors/sizes. Which have you found most useful?

Also how does AVES and Majic Sculpt compare? The texture looks similar between the two. I'll probably try some AVES out soon. (Joe - you said a distributer will be at Atlanta right?)

Interesting note: The way their logo is designed the 'V' with the wings looks very similar to the old Vought Aircraft logo. (For all you WWII aircraft buffs).

-jim cox
  12. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey Bob & Joe,

I checked out the AVES site - look good. (y)

They offer a whole line of different products. I take it you use the 'appoxie sculpt'? It looks like this is available in many colors/sizes. Which have you found most useful?

Also how does AVES and Majic Sculpt compare? The texture looks similar between the two. I'll probably try some AVES out soon. (Joe - you said a distributer will be at Atlanta right?)

Interesting note: The way their logo is designed the 'V' with the wings looks very similar to the old Vought Aircraft logo. (For all you WWII aircraft buffs).

-jim cox
  13. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I use both Apoxie and MS. I use the white Apoxie. It feathers beautifully with a little spit or water. I actually mix it with the blue part of Kneadatite to create a real waxy consistancy that I prefer. Apoxie is very smooth with no granularity and accepts paint very well.
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I use both Apoxie and MS. I use the white Apoxie. It feathers beautifully with a little spit or water. I actually mix it with the blue part of Kneadatite to create a real waxy consistancy that I prefer. Apoxie is very smooth with no granularity and accepts paint very well.
  15. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thank you all for your input. You're a great helpful bunch! (y)

I did visit the AVES website but what I was looking for was the first-hand accounts that you guys have so obligingly provided me with.

So that would be the APOXIE SCULPT which is the more suitable to our kind of job. Still I'm curious about the Clay and the Paste varieties. Have anyone tried these?

Apart from the choice, the problem would be where to find it over here (Europe). Joe, you said that CRM hobbies in St Louis would mail order overseas but as always the shipping costs would be prohibitive. :(

Q.
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thank you all for your input. You're a great helpful bunch! (y)

I did visit the AVES website but what I was looking for was the first-hand accounts that you guys have so obligingly provided me with.

So that would be the APOXIE SCULPT which is the more suitable to our kind of job. Still I'm curious about the Clay and the Paste varieties. Have anyone tried these?

Apart from the choice, the problem would be where to find it over here (Europe). Joe, you said that CRM hobbies in St Louis would mail order overseas but as always the shipping costs would be prohibitive. :(

Q.
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Quang, the Clay is almost like working with a real earthen clay. I didn't care for it for sculpting. It had a mudlike consistancy, and didn't carve well when cured. It seemed porous difficult to smooth. It was however terrific for groundwork due to it's natural color. I can't speak about the paste. I imagine it somewhere between epoxie glue and epoxie putty. We had a similar product at the hardware store that was like that. Good luck.

You could come to Chicago and buy some from CRM's booth ;)
  18. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Quang, the Clay is almost like working with a real earthen clay. I didn't care for it for sculpting. It had a mudlike consistancy, and didn't carve well when cured. It seemed porous difficult to smooth. It was however terrific for groundwork due to it's natural color. I can't speak about the paste. I imagine it somewhere between epoxie glue and epoxie putty. We had a similar product at the hardware store that was like that. Good luck.

You could come to Chicago and buy some from CRM's booth ;)
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    John,

So what you'd propose is that I 'ship' myself instead of the putty. Now that's would be something worth considering! :lol:

Quang
  20. quang Active Member

Belgium
    John,

So what you'd propose is that I 'ship' myself instead of the putty. Now that's would be something worth considering! :lol:

Quang