1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Capt. Warren, May 9, 2021.

1. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, a limited edition (003 of 170) by Michael Kontraros. 54mm resin cast. Limited editions came with a phenomenal base. I painted this with an array of acrylics and washes: AK Gen 3, Vallejo, Reaper, Scale 75 Artist, Citadel, Testors Model Master Medalizer and enamel and Nocturna. Primed with Black, Mr Hobby Gunze Spray 1500. The base was self-made from burel maple wood, shaped, sanded, buffed and carnauba waxed. This project was broken down into 9 sections, 4 horses, 4 riders and the base. It is a rather complex and contains some very delicate resin pieces, but true to the Michaael Kontraros collections, superbly crafted! I hope you like it. Apocalypse All Great.jpg
  2. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Additional views:

Apocalypse Video.jpg Apocalypse RT front 2G.jpg Apocalypse Rear G1.jpg Apocalypse Upper Front.jpg
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Apart from the Kontraros box art itself, this is the first time I've seen the whole thing painted up and finished by anyone else. A complex and ambitious project, congratulations on finishing it to a very nice standard.

Given that it's such a "dark" subject I would have probably gone for a black base. But that's just a personal thing, each to their own.

- Steve
  4. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    I appreciate you kind comments Steve. I thought about a black base, but was unwilling to pay the price for Ebony or African Blackwood:). I am surprised that we've not seen more completed projects of this production. Michael Kontraros creates such interesting and perfectly detailed figures.
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a nice looking set and quite an achievement to paint it, nice work.
    Steve
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  6. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Amazing work. Congratulations on a masterful job.
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Talk about massive detail everywhere you look, sheesh! I can imagine this being a very time consuming project, but pulled off with perfection, I might add.

Cheers, Ski.
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  8. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking paintwork! Looks like a very complex build
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  9. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Looking great and very nice paintwork

Mobo
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Totally agree there ....great colours as well

Why not enter a piece into the class of your choice in our May's FOTM comp and also vote in Aprils classes as well

....And enter in Vignettes & Diorama #3 which will be running till 31/12/21 with voting till 31/01/22

Always good to see the artwork

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Impressive. Very interesting palette across the figures, but it really suits the sculpts of the horses and the riders.

I'd love to get my hands on this set, but sadly its sold out.
    Capt. Warren likes this.
  12. Capt. Warren Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Henk! The limited edition of 170 were the only ones that came with the very well done base. You may still be able to get the non-limited edition, but it won't have the base. Additionally, I have seen the individual figures listed for sale. At one time, I was trying to find an out-of-production figure from Recon Miniatures and I want on the forum here at PF and asked if anyone had one for sale....it worked and interestingly, the guy who sold it to me only lived about 60 miles away. So, you might try that...maybe someone has one for sale or knows where one may be for sale. BTW, love your Huntress figure!!
    Nap likes this.
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much.

Yes, I should have been a bit clearer, the individual figures are still available,, and I'm saving up to get them, I was referring to the 'limited edition ' as you pointed out.
    Capt. Warren likes this.