APG display

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jul 9, 2009.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few of the things I'm going to bring with me to the show in August. The Zouave painting is my donation for the show and the Hessian is one of the two or three other paintings for my exhibit. Now time to get some sculpting done.

146th New York Volunteer Infantry ("Gerrard's Tigers")

The 146th went of to war in 1862 commanded by Colonel Kenner Gerrard, a West Point Graduate. The regiment was assigned to General Sykes' Division of the Army of the Potomac, a division composed mainly of U.S. Regulars. The 146th was attached to the only brigade of volunteers in Sykes' Division, joining the 5th NY(Duryée's Zouaves)and 140th NY(Rochester Racehorses) volunteers. When the two year term of service ended for the 5th NY, more than 300 three-year recruits were transferred to the 146th.In June of 1863 the 146th received the Zouave uniform that would replace the New York State uniform they had been wearing up to that time. It is this uniform that the regiment would be wearing during the battle of Gettysburg.The remain regiments of the brigade would not receive their Zouave uniforms until January of 1864.

When I was knocking around ideas for my donation for the Artist Preservation Group's Gettysburg show in August I settled on painting a Zouave. After seeing studies painted on a artist's wooden palette by Alphonse De Neuville and Keith Rocco, I decided to use the same for my painting surface. The palette measures 13" X 9 1/2".

Brunswick Grenadier, Regiment Von Riedesel

This painting was inspired by a figure sculpted by Jason Whitman. Check out Jason's figure here. http://jaywhitsminiatures.blogspot.com/2007/10/brunswick-grenadierregiment-von.html I really liked the forward sense of movement given to the figure. That, along with the fact that Hessian troops just look cool. This painting was done in acrylics on 8 x 10 multimedia board.

Attached Files:

2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done Gary! I REALLY like the Zouave a bunch! Nice work here.

Jay H.
    Okc
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Stunning, Gary!

But I do prefer the Zouave more and the clever presentation of it.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  4. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Great work, Gary! I like your painting style alot.

Now get to sculpting me a Hessian! ;-)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent artwork Gary.
    Always liked your paintingstyle.

Marc
  6. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sweet. Beautiful work.
  7. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Terrific Gary! My only suggestion would be a bit more shading on the tops of the legs of the Brunswick Grenadier to make them look a bit more 3D. Perhaps a wash?

Colin
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great on both paintings Gary, but the sublime idea of the painting palette serving as the frame pushes the Zouave just a notch higher!!! Bravo!!!!

What an honour that I'm part of the APG display/auction with my 2nd King Philip for the 2nd time!!!

Ray ;)
  10. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Gary,excellent paintings.I like your style of painting.

Regards,John:)
  11. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gary,
    Great stuff and I too like the Zouve a lot.
    Cheers
    John
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Beautiful work Gary, really like your presentation on the Zouave.

Cheers David
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful paintings Gary!!!
    christos
  14. Aterz Active Member

Italy
    Great painting!

regards from Italy
    Andrea
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Beautiful paintwork Gary!

Marcel.
  16. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wow, that is just excellent Gary !!! I really admire your painting skills !!!