1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Anyone in the Northern KY/Cincy, Ohio area?

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Magnifier, May 14, 2016.

1. Magnifier Member

United-States
    Just wondering... I seem to be on an island here (Northern KY).

Visited the local Cincy model club when I moved to KY... showed them what I was working on...

Was asked: Why are you here.

That sort of set the tone.
  2. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    If you are talking about the local IPMS chapter, I'm surprised you got such a response. I know some of the guys in that club. I'm from the Dayton, Ohio area and frequently run into them at various local shows. I wonder if perhaps you ran into one bad apple in an otherwise decent group.

Anyway, our club, Wright Field Scale Modelers, has a couple of good figure painters, so you'd be welcome here if you're willing to make the drive. :) We are one of the few clubs that actually build stuff during our monthly meetings.
  3. Magnifier Member

United-States
    Hi,

It was the Cincy Scale Modelers -- I think that's what they are called.

I'm not trying to disparage the group at all.

I attended a meeting in December of last year, met some of the members and at one point was asked to introduce myself and tell a bit about what I did. I prefaced this by saying I had never built a tank or plane and then proceeded to talk a little bit about my periods of interest and plans going forward (as I was just preparing to re-enter the hobby).

When I was done one of the members asked me: "If you don't build planes or tanks then what the hell are you doing here?"

No one laughed. I just sat down at that point and they went on with club business.

I gave my email address to be informed of future club activities and events and to this day have never heard from them.

I am pretty sure the gentleman was only kidding, but it was an awkward moment and their seeming lack of interest in what I am trying to do was enough that I haven't returned.

I was hoping to find a few members from the forum here to perhaps commiserate with.

I had planned to attend the model show last month in Dayton -- I forget the name now -- just to see if there were any figures on the table and maybe connect that way, but I got a last-minute photography job the night before and could not attend.

Perhaps I will make the trip up to visit your club though...
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to Planet figure i hope you enjoy it and never ask why you are here.

All the best

Paul.
  5. Magnifier Member

United-States
    Thanks. I'm afraid you are stuck with me now. :)
  6. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am Totally fine with that ,)

Any friend of resin is a friend of mine !

Don't forget to share your plans and show us some piccies.

Paul.

Paul
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul!

The perfect answer would have been! What is a, 'Tank, or a plane, without a figure', to bring it to life. Nothing but a lump of metal. AFV and Aviation, enthusiasts may need to consider there story behind their work.

What is a tree, without a figure?: nought but a tree.;)

Mark.
    Steve and sd0324 like this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not only is everything said above true Mark and Paul.

But in addition, a 'Tree without a Squizzee' is like ;
    a Laurel without a Hardey
    a Terminator without "your clothes youe boots and your motorcycle",
    a Jedi without 'The Force',
    a Kilt without a sporran,
    a BBQ without meat
    a kit with no glue,
    a biscuit without a brew,
    An LP without a stylus,
    Me with no off button......hunh?

I am a member of an IPMS branch and the figure modellers have to huddle in the corner, screw 'em Paul, stick with us weirdos.

Have you also noticed that ALL guys called Paul are just naturally gifted, stylish , talented, handsome, charming, modest and never disagree with me?

'Marks' are ok too, as long as you chuck 'em a few nuts and a spare branch.

Paul
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  9. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Or even a Planet figure with no Magnifier..........Dom (aka Paul)
    peedee likes this.
  10. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Peedee, leave my 'Nuts', out of this converse. .. I buy a bag of 'Brazils', every week just to scratch them. .. miss the feeling! ;)

Mark
    peedee likes this.
  11. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, I've attended IPMS meetings in other areas and they've generally been very receptive to figures. Even if it's not the focus of the club, the people seem to appreciate models of all kinds (not just planes, tanks, and cars). You might consider giving them another shot... but it's up to you. It helps to bring along a model, even if it's not painted or just work in progress. At least it will give people something to talk about and hopefully make the meeting more social and enjoyable for you.

On another note, have you heard of or been to Wonderfest? It's a model show in Louisville that's coming up on June 4-5. The show is focused on fantasy/sci-fi, horror, anime, etc. Not much in the way of historical, as far as I'm aware, but you may still find it interesting to check out!
    http://www.wonderfest.com/
    peedee likes this.
  12. Magnifier Member

United-States
    I have, yes, but have never had the opportunity to go (seems we always have some other commitment).
  13. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    http://www.cincyipms.com
    They seems to be boats, planes hardcore
    Nowadays you are welcome here ( even if you make planes some day ) :)
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome and sorry you had a bad experience. We are a very nice group here and very helpful.
    Our gain here is their loss.
    Cheers
    John
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Magnifer,

Groucho Marx once said "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me for a member."

Welcome aboard.