1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Anyone have sculpt hands?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by atitan_to, Feb 11, 2005.

1. atitan_to Member

I found there are many discussing about bust / figure, but seldom about hands, I found it is difficult to sculpt 1/48 or 1/35 hands, since i cannot install wires inside as support, can anyone can share experiment with me?

Thanks
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I normally roll out the fingers from individual pieces of putty and then shape them as they cure. They are then attached to the main part of the hand. I'm not sure how I would approach 1/48 hands, maybe one day I'll find out. On the next 1/35 or 54mm figure I will try to use lead wire that has been semi-flattened with pliers for the fingers. I will more than likely coat them with superglue to give them added strength. If anyone has an easier method I'm all ears.~Gary
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I've had very poor luck with the wire armature for fingers approach. I mind up chasing the putty around the wire. Grafting lengths of roleld out Duro on a palm from putty or plastic like Bill Horan describes may be another approach to try. The last few hands I've done that weren't holding something were carved from a putty blank. It's difficult to do splayed fingers in 54mm like this though. Make a rough shape from putty and carve file and sand the fingers in. A thumb can be added after the palm and fingers have been carved.
  4. AkiLeon New Member

Spain
    The hands ... my big problem.

[IMG]

any help to 32mm. rolling putti ? cut putti? make de edge and after use water to smoth?

Thanks , AkiLeon.
  5. Manfred Active Member

Perhaps one of the sculptors around could do a hands tutorial?

Would be deeply appreciated.

I end up the same as John, chasing the putty round the wires ... :lol:
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Bryon Ray had an interesting approach. Maybe he'll se this and give his view. It amounted to grafting the fingers onto the palm, and trimming them to length. The extended length gave you something to hold on to.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I mostly carve mine..
    I don't have a written tutorial just some pics but this may help:

hands
  8. minimaker New Member

Tutorial on making hands. Good idea. I'll try to make pictures next time I do some. In any case, I sculpt in green stuff and what I do:

Fist: - add blob of putty, shape outlines, let it cure a little to get some stiffness, cut in the lines for the fingers and round them. Change details like length of fingers and adding nails when needed. When all that is cured I add a thumg.
    Extended hand: - add a blob of putty and stretch it to a sheet. I make the palm and back of the hand, let it cure a little and then cut in the fingers. I then cut them to size after curing and shape the fingers and other bits and pieces.

I work at 28mm scale and the armature usually extends to the palm of the hands only.

Bye, Ming-Hua