1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Any good material for sculpting?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by atitan_to, Mar 19, 2004.

1. atitan_to Member

I want to ask what material you will us in figure sculpting?
    I have tried tamiya's epoxy putty before, and found it is awful: it is too sticky, i can't do anything on it.
    Even i use water to reduce the sticky of putty from my tools and hand, the result is still back.....
    Can anyone provide suggestion for me?
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello,

I use AVES putty and I know that Bill Chilstrom also uses it. I have not tried their other products but may in the future. Here is the web site http://www.avesstudio.com/ I have also used Magic Sculpt but I prefer the AVES. Hope this helps,

Joe
  3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi , well I use a lot of putties. My mannequins are made of milliput standard. All the clothing is done in Magic sculpt and textures are done with mix of duro/MS. After all it's a matter of choice and with what you're comfortable .

Stephen Mallia
  4. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    I agree. Being fairly new to the sculpting field myself; I've been experimenting with many different mediums. I've found useful applications for all mentioned. I use super sculpey alot as well because it allows for unlimited working time (hardens when baked). I am fast becoming a fan of AVES putty due to it's workability and smoothness. Majic Sulpt is also very good. I also think a lot of what you become comfortable with will depend on the techniques and methods you adopt in using a particular brand. Just some thoughts...

Best thing is to just dive in with whatever you have on hand and don't be afraid to experiment. You'll eventually come across what works best for you in a given situation. Happy sculpting!

-jim cox
  5. y_wong New Member

Dear Titan,

You may want to try Epo-putty from Alteco. It's a two part epoxy putty for mending china, pipes and etc. It's cheap and good:- I use them for all my sculpting. You can purchase it from DIY shops.

As for the stickiness, use talcum powder instead of water. It's dry and not messy.

regards