1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Anti war demo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by razor, Oct 29, 2023.

1. razor A Fixture

Thanks for looking.
    Been a long time since I put paint to plastic, so I thought I’d share my latest work.
    I’ve been watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary on TV a war I know next to nothing about and it’s a terrific show. The testimony from both sides is just fascinating.
    My scene represents for me the most interesting episode of the series which describes the actions of those great number of men who had fought the war but came to be anti war protesters.
    The figures are modified 1/35 Bravo with Hornet heads, medals are from Eduard. All painted in acrylics
    IMG_4236.jpeg IMG_4238.jpeg IMG_4224.jpeg IMG_4225.jpeg
    A fair way to go with it, if anyone has comments or advice feel free.
    Ta. Paul
    https://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=1656
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Just my personal preference, I would add a 3rd figure. It always strikes me that when you have an even number of figs, the mind tells you "that's all there is", whereas an odd number implies the scene extends beyond what we see. Other than that, excellent result!
    Blind Pew, Kevtk135, Redcap and 5 others like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Each time you put paint on plastic,metal or resin I know we are all in for a treat.This is no exception.

Oda.
    Redcap, Ferris, razor and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Paul

Great to see you painting and as always a interesting subject , liking the new heads and the choice of pose

I agree with Jason ref adding a 3rd , think it will emphasise the crowd feeling at demo's

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. Briggsy A Fixture

Great choice of subject, especially given current conflicts around the globe, nicely painted. In the 70's when we had a lot of CND protests in the UK I had a t-shirt printed that read "Ban the whale Save the bomb", it went down well until people read it a second time!

Cheers Simon
  6. razor A Fixture

Thanks for the suggestions and the kind comments. Never let it be said I don’t bend to peer pressure.
    First test shot.

IMG_4240.jpeg
    MCPWilk, Blind Pew, Redcap and 4 others like this.
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Nice! And being on the next step adds some nice elevation to the scene
    Do you have a yelling head that you could use on him? That would go well with the guy holding the sign and kind of sneering, more emotion being displayed. I would also have him looking in the same direction so that we know there is something or someone "over there" whom they are protesting to or at.I think looking off to the side kind of lessens the impact, almost like he is bored or not really into it.
    Scotty likes this.
  8. Briggsy A Fixture

Agree with Jason above though the unpainted figure gave me an idea. Would you be comfortable painting the third figure in black and white as though he was a ghost or a memory of the conflict, protesting along side his brothers in arms even though his voice couldn't be heard. Just a thought.

Cheers Simon
    Scotty likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Paul

Nice to see a third , some really good ideas from Jason and Simon

Look forward to seeing what you do with this now

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice painting style, a fantastic effect on small scale figures, looking forward to seeing where you go with adding a third figure and seeing the completed scene.
    TERRY
  11. Steve Edwards Active Member

I always enjoy seeing your model projects come together. Thanks for sharing.

I'll second the motion for the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary. It's outstanding and one of his best. I can recommend getting the Box Set because you will want to watch it more than once.
    dmcHobbes likes this.
  12. razor A Fixture

Thanks for the input, hopefully this will do the job for Halloween .
    IMG_4244.jpeg

I’ve also been working on the third figure and his placement. Kind of like the slope arms look.
    IMG_4247.jpeg IMG_4248.jpeg IMG_4249.jpeg

Thanks again
    Martin64, Blind Pew, KenBoyle and 4 others like this.
  13. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Nice!
    I like the one with the new guy in back. I would give the new guy a sign different from the other guy. How about this?

[IMG]
    Blind Pew, Nap and Scotty like this.
  14. Briggsy A Fixture

Awesome, if that's not a good halloween vignette I don't know what is.

As for the third figures placement I would be inclined to have him on the lower left as you look at it due to the height of the other fellas placard. Gonna look good where ever you put him.

Cheers Simon
    JasonB likes this.
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well, whatever you end up doing, it's gonna look great!
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

This is coming along really well , agree ref having different signs

Like the Halloween version

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  17. razor A Fixture

Work progressing slowly on the 3rd figure. Think these will be the signs they’ll eventually.
    IMG_4264.jpeg IMG_4265.jpeg
  18. Briggsy A Fixture

He is a great figure, it's all very evocative of the period. Maybe it should have been black and white with a strong whiff of weed!

Cheers Simon
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    We had T-shirts here in the States, that read, "Nuke the Whales!" I think there was a band that even recorded a "Nuke the Whales!" song. Those were out around 1980, when I was in high school.
    When I was in college, we had a saying at my school: "F**k 'em if they can't take a joke!"

Prost!
    Brad
    Briggsy likes this.
  20. Briggsy A Fixture

1981 I joined the army, it's only recently that I started to understand just what the joke was, if youth is wasted on the young then it's too bloody late getting wisdom when you're old. That said we only live once and my wife and I have decided to grow old disgracefully, so bring on the whale song bombs and all!

Have a great day, I'm off to bed!

Cheers mate, Simon
    theBaron likes this.