1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Another Royal Horse Guards

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Langenberg, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Langenberg Active Member

United-States
    Hello all,

This is my version of this fine Bust. The cuirass and helmet were done with buff able Humbrol metal coat. All other metalics are non-metalic. Everything is done in oils over acrylics.(except the curiass and helmet)

This is a really nice bust and is fun to paint. The pictures are about as good as I can manage.

Cheers

Bob

Attached Files:

jerry, Joe55, samson and 15 others like this.
  2. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

That is very nice Bob, the metals are particularly good-is the sash ready textured? or did you do that?....I've forgotten whose bust it is?

Claude
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb painting Bob.
    I really like the way that you have presented the different materials so realistically.
    Cheers for sharing it.
    Keith
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Bob,

Very nice job like the sash and would also be interested in how you did this ?

Like the NMM very effective ..do share you colours

Claude ,

The bust is from Stormtroopers ..and very nice it is

Nap
  5. Langenberg Active Member

United-States
    Gents, the texture in the sash is cast into the bust. I tried to accentuate it as best as I could. I tried pretty hard to get subtle variations in gold tone. As for specific colors, I couldn't give you exact mixes, not that I wouldn't; it's just that I Mix on the fly and don't record mixes. That said, the primary acrylic colors used were all Reaper paints, specifically, burnt orange (the base for the sash), palamino gold, Amber gold, bright skin highlight and blond highlight. When a deep shadow was needed I used red stone shadow and red shadow.

The oils used were all Vasari. I discovered these at the 05 Boston expo and have incorporated them more with time. The tubes used were Mars Yellow, scarlet sienna, shale (a deep reddish purple grey, buff, red umber and lighting up to rosebud, a very high pink.

The basic approach was to start with an acrylic base as close to the final color as I could manage. For the gold on the curiass and helmet, I did a lot of color work in acrylic and then used glazes of oils to shift the color as I saw fit. The remainder, shoulder boards and sash were differentiated by deep shading in blue black on the shoulder boards and deep shading in a red brown for the sash. Each is then highlighted in varying yellow/white/pink highlights getting successively brighter.

I hope that helps.

Bob
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent job.

Marc
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Congratulations bob on a lovely piece of work,beautifully painted and the detail is lovely,:)
  8. Marco22 A Fixture

France
    very nicely painted !
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Fine and detailed painting
    Bob
  10. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Superb. I can't wait to see this next month. Looks like the metal coat did the job. Really nice work on the nmm.
    Pete
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful brushwork Bob! A real dandy!

Joe