1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Another BOB Pilot (with a difference)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Apr 25, 2014.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi All,
    Couldn't wait to start on this piece from Life Miniatures. Its only very early stages at this point but what I am planning to do is a sepia paint job on him so that it will look like an old photograph as seen from this period. The pilot is base coated in a Tamiya mix at the moment and the rest will be mainly done in oils. You can probably see where I am in the middle of reshaping the front Parachute disc as I had it base coated and then I saw the posts by Mr DBenz in another post saying the corrections needed, Oh Well!!!! 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG View attachment 156754 View attachment 156755 View attachment 156756
    ChaosCossack, NickM, yeo_64 and 3 others like this.
  2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    In these pics you can see the alterations on the Cocker Spaniel for his shoulder. I have used Aves to lengthen the skirt and leg hair. This not only looks makes it look more like our own family dog, but also helps to cover the underneath of it as there is quite a gap between the dog and the pilot
    Thanks for looking and updates soon I hope
    Ben

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      226.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      250.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      275.8 KB
      Views:
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Looking forward to seeing how you go on the sepia effect. Ben. Should be quite a challenge, great start.
    FigureLover likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Will be taking notes. I have the Andrea 90mm Napoleon abdication figure to do in sepia for SWMBO, to match a sepia print of same we have on our wall.

Colin
    FigureLover and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  5. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben, I am liking this as I am painting this myself but I am staying as per the box as it's for a mag article.
    It's good to see variations on the same bust, more power to your elbow!!!:LOL:
    Watching carefully...:woot:
    Mark D ;)
    FigureLover likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Will be watching too as I've a WWI bust I want to do in sepia (y)
    Steve
    FigureLover likes this.
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys for watching, it will be a challenge for sure and I hope it comes out well and that you also learn something from it. I have never done anything like this so it will be a learning curve
    Ben
  8. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hey Ben, I love this bust - the sepia tone should be a great effect. Challenging, but you're more than up to it mate ;)
    FigureLover likes this.
  9. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben
    Great idea about the Sepia effect ,well adjusted on the dog front when I saw the kit it did seem to be a bit bandits at 11oclock lol will follow with interest
    FigureLover likes this.
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nick and Chris
    Thanks for your vote of confidence, I have been playing with it this afternoon, hopefully have some updates tomorrow
    Ta
    Ben
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG Alright, here is where I am at the moment, some good some not so good,
    The three colours I am using are Titanium White, Burnt Umber and Ivory Black. Sepia is almost black and white with a slight Brownish hue and this is what I am trying to produce.
    I am really happy with the flying helmet, woollen jumper and scarf, they have come out well, still need a few touch ups of course with a few darker shadows here and there.
    Now the face isn't exactly where I want it. I started too dark, and it has also come out too grey. I must have used too muck Black but I think I can bring it back though. I will let it dry fully and then tackle it again.
    Thanks again for looking, comments welcome and will hopefully have some more updates next weekend
    Ben
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well agree on the face being grey might a very slight yellow ochre wash save the day ?
    Steve
    FigureLover likes this.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great stuff Ben.
    FigureLover likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Ben I think you are right about the face. It looks well done but a different hue than the helmet. When thinking about approaching this problem, I have considered that a sepia model should be the same hue across the entire figure but different saturation. But I am not sure how best to do this as I suck at colour theory. Like grammar, I don't know the rules so I just do what looks, or in the case of grammar, sounds right. That is why I have been procrastinating for about 10 years. I was going to cheat and start with a tube of sepia oil colour and then lighten or darken appropriately. Your approach is much more pure. Good luck.

Colin
    FigureLover likes this.
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    HI Steve, Tony and Colin

Steve, I agree and was thinking of doing some pin washes with Burnt Umber to put some colour back in, but think I have to lighten the face a bit first

Colin, I have no idea of colour theory either and approach it the same as you. My thought is to bring some brown back into the face and blend it in to be in more harmony with the rest of the figure. Its funny, but when researching on colours and techniques to do this, no one mentioned a Sepia Pre done tube, so I never thought to source one!!!!!! Could be easier

Ta
    Ben
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Windsor Newton does a nice sepia. Very useful in glazing khaki when painting oils.

Colin
    FigureLover likes this.
  17. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Nice work so far Ben ,
    Concept sounds cool are you working from old sepia photos to start with or just.... wing and a pray (sorry bit of a haha) just a wonder as to the depth of shadows and highlights
    in those old photos some appear washed out while others are quite intense in shadow etc might want to hold off on face until bit more done on uniform and dog depending on rest of figure might
    work could change look from afternoon photo to early morning just an idea...........
    Regards
    Chris W
    FigureLover likes this.
  18. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ya Chris,
    Yeah I am working on the uniform at the moment to give a better idea of where to go with the face. Although I have saved a few sepia pics from the net, nothing I could find is depicting the same colours that the RAF wore, so what I have done is altered the box art photos in Photoshop to be sepia, and using this a guide, they are quite dark though. I am trying to get the basics done first and then will go in and add proper shadows etc later. Good to hear from you Chris
    Ben
  19. JackG Active Member

Canada
    I like how this is progressing, very different take.

Sepia photographs of old are basically b/w photos that have a brown wash over them. The artist/photographer could go in with a fine brush and further refine areas with the applied sepia. There are also hand coloured photos, which you seem to be on the fringe of here?

In essence what you want is brown base colour, and using white to lighten it, and black to darken it.

[IMG]

regards,
    Jack
    m@rp and FigureLover like this.
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jack,
    Thanks for your comments, and what you have said is definitely what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for the time you put into altering the pics you attached, these are also what I am mainly working from and toward. I had considered painting the bust in B&W and doing a sepia style wash over it to get the look I am after, but went against this as I wanted to do a more "pure" form of painting, maybe I should have after all!!!!!
    I am sure I will get this back to the vision I am after, it just didn't happen first go.
    Thanks again
    Ben