1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Another 120mm scratchbuild

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by LCoote, Jul 16, 2004.

1. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey guys,

When I recieved Osprey's new book a recently , "Vietnam ANZACS" I just couldn't resist starting another figure. The aussie soldier is a subject close to my heart, that I've always wanted to do in miniature.

Something along the lines of this illustration, though not trying to copy the artwork exactly.

The head is still in the early stages.

[IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking Good Leigh!

I have to get that book as I'm an addict of Kevin Lyles' illustrations! Looking forward to seeing how you progress.......

Did you know Mr Lyles once sculpted a vietnam era figure? Painted it when I was a young teenager (so much thick oil paint). Think I'll strip it and repaint.....

Rob
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great so far Leigh.......keep us posted as you go!
  4. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Rob,

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Kevin Lyles work too, I think he's the best military illustrator around.
    I know he has an interest in the vietnam war but didn't know about the figure, what's the figure, have you got a pic of it?
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Guy, I'd like to get the head finished over the weekend, see how I go.
  6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm at work right now but I'll try to upload a pic later, maybe over the weekend.

Was pretty sure the release was through Chota Sahib; US special forces, slightly Rambo-ish. We're talking over 20 years ago.....
  7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    That's looking good Leigh.Keep us posted

Stephen Mallia
  8. callum Member

Looking very good Leigh, what happening with the WWII german, it too was looking good?

Regards, Callum.
  9. fsdesimone Member

That'll shape up really nicely Leigh. Question: the keys under the arms are leftover from a pre-cast torso or will they be used later in some way?

Francesca
  10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Stephen!

Thanks Callum, the German is still progressing but I just couldn't resist starting this figure after getting Kevin Lyles new book.

Thanks Francesca, that's right the keys are from a precast torso, I did some castings of the German figure and used a torso, pelvis and skull for this one.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, As always very nice, I can't wait to see both 120's completed. When you mentioned the ANZAC book coming out I knew it was a matter of time before you would do something from it. I love Lyle's illustration style though he does almost nothing but modern stuff.

Here is the figure that he did years ago for Chota Sahib. I do not have a huge gray army but this one is in it and has been stripped like four times. Don't mind the blu tac holding on the right hand. It's a three part kit comprising head,torso, and legs (one piece), right hand with shotgun, left arm. To me this figure more than holds up to todays standards.~Gary
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Head/torso shot.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    side view.

Sorry to take up your Vbench Leigh, thought you'd like to see the figure.~Gary
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gary, Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics , you're right, there are some figures that stand the test of time well.
    Kevin Lyles has just done two of Osprey's latest releases, so I hope we'll see more from him, he seemed to disappear there for a while.
  16. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Guys,

Made some progress on the boots.

I prefer plastic card for the soles as I find putty too fiddly for this sort of thing.
    In the last pic I've roughed in the shape of the boot, once the putty's hard I'll refine the shape and add the details and creases.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    That is neat Leigh..........it really looks great........enjoy following your steps!
  18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks GREAT Leigh! Can't wait to see more.
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh,

Really nice work. Look forward to seeing more of this one.

Joe
  20. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Leigh

Plastic Card makes sense to me! Looking good.

Glad Gary found the figure; definately the one I was thinking of. Just took pics of mine.......but I'll post in the 'your first figure' thread from a while back; got some pics of others that will be quite entertaining!

As for Kevin Lyles, he's done a few Osprey titles recently (Isreali one I think, and commonwealth troops in the far east + the very recent ones) but he seemed to author several photo books - that great US in Vietnam book with the live models. An excellent book but glad he's back illustrating.

Rob