1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Another 1/16th aviator, J.E. Johnson and Sally

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by martinmack, Dec 6, 2010.

1. martinmack New Member

United-States
    Another new project, based on the reference pic of J.E. Johnson. Very much in the early phases, but I thought I would post a bit more of a SBS version on this one. Progress will be slow because of the Holidays, but I'll try to post pics fairly regularly on the different steps. Once I have a head roughed in I generally start shaping the torso considerably undersized to allow for a thick layer of sculpey for more advanced anatomy and then the drapery. I'll add an armature for the limbs once I am satisfied with the torso. I will also continue to refine the facial features as the build progresses. I generally find the more I look at the reference, the more things I find to fix!

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Niiice Martin!

Following this one (y)
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Martin, will you do the dog?
    Carl.
  4. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Head is excellent.
    Too bad, there is no Spitfire MK I in that scale to display them together ;)
  5. martinmack New Member

United-States
    I'm planning on doing the dog since Sally was a pretty important part of Johnson's story. I think it brings a little something different to the sculpt. Here's hoping that dog likenesses aren't too tough!!
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Martin, This one will look nice with the dog included. ~Gary
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    So what was Sally then, a Black Lab?
  8. martinmack New Member

United-States
    Sally looks like a black lab to me, and she's generally described that way when being referred to. I'm always open to additional information though.
  9. baldwin8 Member

Canada
    I love this thread, not nearly enough WWII British or Commonwealth material being done these days. The uniform always leaves a little artistic leeway during war time.
  10. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good..!!!
  11. martinmack New Member

United-States
    Hi all, not much of an update, but after an early Christmas trip to Canada to visit my family, I managed to get back to the JE Johnson sculpt. Pretty minor progress, but the basic posture is roughed in. Underneath the clay there's electric fence wire with a little tinfoil to give the clay something to bite to. I'm hoping to make more progress over the next little while, so hopefully the updates will be more frequent and more substantial.

Attached Files:

• JJ 1.jpg
      JJ 1.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice subject. Hope you will do the dog too.

marc
  13. martinmack New Member

United-States
    Just a quick update, the right side shoulders and chest are developing, along with the collars and scarf around the neck. Folds are roughed in and will undoubtedly be changed many times before they are finished. The belt around the waist is mostly to help determine proportions and will be refined and shaped to it's final form. I baked the figure after the collar and belt were in place so I can add clay and have a solid reference for sizing of the body.

Attached Files:

• JJ 2.jpg
      JJ 2.jpg
      File size:
      86.5 KB
      Views:
    gordy and billyturnip like this.
  14. martinmack New Member

United-States
    A little more progress on the JE Johnson

sculpt, the legs are roughed in, along with the back of the jacket which isn't visible here. I need to remove some material in the crotch area since his legs are looking a bit too short. The folds in the pants will be refined and sharpened with carving and filing. If you notice, his face looks a little dark on one side. Last time I baked him his head detached and fell down into the bottom of the oven where it sat directly under the flame for at least 15 minutes. Fortunately Sculpey isn't damaged by heat, even though half his head is now a chocolately brown and he looks like a black and white cookie!

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Martin. When working with Sculpey there are two (2) things that are a must. ~Gary

1. Set a timer, be it the one on your oven or an egg timer.

2. After baking let the piece sit in the oven to cool. This way the piece is not going from 200+ degrees to room temperature in a few seconds. This is to help ward off any possible fracturing or cracking due to the rapid temperature change.
  16. martinmack New Member

United-States
    Hi Gary,

Good advice there, and definitely should be heeded. I tend to bake far cooler and shorter than a lot of people....275 degrees for 30 minutes for even the thickest of pieces....sometimes as short as 15 minutes for thinner pieces. I find those times give the piece lots of hardness, but still leaves it soft enough to carve and sand. This was definitely a unique situation where the head fell out of the neck and rolled to the bottom of the oven. It's good to know that this material is pretty durable since there was no loss of detail even when exposed to direct flame for 15 minutes.
  17. martinmack New Member

United-States
    the dog days of....January??

This dog is kicking my butt, I've been digging for a likeness for days now and this is the closest I can get. Any suggestions on what's right/wrong would be much appreciated...I think I might be vapor locked on it right now so it might help me see something I am missing. There's still lots to do with a tail and getting his back legs right, but the head is where I'm really stuck. Thanks for any help.

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Martin, I'm not seeing anything out of place.. dogs are so varied in their feature shapes and sizes it's hard to discern, maybe a slight tilt of the head?