1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Anniversary of Teutoburgerwald

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  2. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
  3. Caratacus New Member

Peter Wells book is not, IMO, a very good treatment of this campaign. It suffers from the defect that he has a particular axe to grind and makes everything fit this thesis.

A much better book is the one written by the chap who actually discovered the site of the battle (or what is generally accepted now as being the site of the battle). This is "The Lost Roman Legions" by Tony Clunn. This has recently been republished at around £13. He mixes up the archaeological discoveries with a series of descritive passages, setting out what he thinks could have happened at particular times and places. It reads very well, also.

It is important to remember that this battle wasn't by any means the only one the Romans ever lost, or indeed the most disasterous. Crassus lost seven legions against the Parthians and Domitian didn't do terribly well either - at least two legions - possibly more - went missing after his Dacian campaigns in the 80s

(Caratacus)
  4. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    I have the Tony Clunn book as well and can highly recommend it. I do not own the Peter Wells book so I really can't offer any review (pro or con) on it. This has always interested me and indeed this battle stopped the Roman expansion into Germany against the "so called barbarians".

As far as figures go, I personally like the Pegaso diorama series better than the sets offered by Time Machine. Just my own personal assesment. This is one of those long running pet projects of mine (don't we all have one of these?) where everything will be different. The base, the setting, the grouping of the figures, all of it.

Thanks for posting the link Colin. Always good to read anything new relating to the battle.

Jim Patrick