1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Animal Astronauts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by sippog, Jun 16, 2018.

1. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    space01.jpg

After a longish break from doing any painting due to an ulcerated foot (basically I had to stay off my feet for two months or risk pain and swelling), I’m tackling this great set of animal astronauts sculpted by Raccoon Miniatures.

The plan is do the space suits in muted colours with some chipping to reveal rust, seen here as underpainting. I might even try out the hairspray and salt chipping technique. I've seen versions of these done in bright primary colours with all the details picked out but I'm a bit allergic to that style of painting. Just have to be careful not to grunge them up too much!

space-04.jpg
    LATER - The salt and hairspray worked reasonably well. I put a coat of Johnson’s Klear over the rust layer and then matted it which gave it some protection. Used an airbrush to put the paint layers on but hairspray from the can. Scrubbing the salt with a wet brush gave the best results. I tried scratching with a toothpick too but it was difficult not to scratch down to the white resin. Thought I might be able to scratch the edges and insets of the vents but it’s probably easier to dry bush the rust in.

space03.jpg

Pictures shows a couple of washes with Vallejo and ink. I need to decide how much I want to pick out next. Reasonably happy with blue colour, less so with green and orange shades.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I wonder...could you post a picture of each individual character....they look very interesting....but I can't make them out from the pics above.

Thanks

Ron
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here you go Ron:D
    cheers
    Richie
    raccoon miniatures front.jpg raccoon miniatures rev.jpg
    Huw63 and sippog like this.
  4. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    space-05.jpg

Progress - of a kind . . .
    Huw63 likes this.
  5. Huw63 A Fixture

Interesting to say the least.

Cheers

Huw
    sippog likes this.
  6. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Space-11.jpg Just about done - a bit of touching up

Space-10.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Kevtk135 Active Member

Pretty original and cool! Never saw them before, but you're doing a terrific job on them.
    sippog likes this.
  8. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
  9. Huw63 A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork.

Cheers

Huw
    WehrWolf and sippog like this.
  10. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Interesting display
    sippog likes this.