1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ANDROID 1/7th and general Polyclay discussion.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by darkeye, Sep 17, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Daniel,

I purchased my Super Sculpey through ArmsModel It in Queensland. I'll send you the details in a PM.
  2. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
  3. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    two good putties Danny, you will enjoy experimenting; when you do dont hesitate to ask for help/tips, modellers as a community are happy to help, as am i.

well, my current Lady has been sufficiently raked and carved to slim her ribs, legs have gone on in full and this morning before breakfast i added her breasts back on then began to model her arms; currently modeling the shoulders to the elbow- not using armature wire for this step though. over all its going well.

regards to all ---- tim. :)
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tim,

I have a question about Sculpey that may seem a bit obvious.

Polyclays must be hardened in the oven, so does this mean it can't be used to convert resin or plastic figures?? For example, if I wanted to convert a resin figure using Sculpey, would the resin melt or deform in the oven while the Sculpey was baking??

I am asuming that plastic figures and ovens don't mix well, so what are my options for conversions, if I can't use epoxy resins.
  5. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    from what i have read on the Clubhouse/heard, the Pro Guys say resin is fine with sculpey at low temps- i have an old resin model so will check the validity of this rumor/fact mate! it would be good for you to be able to do conversions minus a reaction.
    one thing i would be certain of ,small or slim parts would warp - let ya know in about an hour.

all the best mate! -- tim :)
  6. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    I'm still searching for the title of it. I'm going to the library the next daysand i will find the comic! ;-)
    yours
  7. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    hi Bad91fellow,
    what comic is that mate?

regards --- tim. :)

Tony, baked the top half of a Verlinden samurai, added hoorns to the helmet and left the sword on ; sword bend but otherwise ok, fingers held no probs, no discernable damage but some browning of the piece. i would recommend wrapping the non-converted areas in foil- should stop the browning!

regards ---- tim :)
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Tim,

That's extremely helpful for me to know. I have several resin kits that I'd like to convert and now that I know I can do it with Sculpey, I'll be confident of tackling these new projects. Using foil to prevent browning sounds reasonable. I'll give it a go.
  9. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    I'm kind of dazzled about the conversion thing you guys are talking about :confused:
    Are you trying to make a mould or resculpt the figure?

Daniel
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Daniel,

Conversion is taking a commercially produced figure and changing parts of it (such as the stance, the pose, the uniform etc) to suit your own purposes. In my case, I'm considering converting a large scale vignette which I recently bought from US to Australian, by changing the uniform details. The basic body shapes wont change, just the uniforms. Some major conversions are almost entirely scratchbuilt with just one or two items unchanged.
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tim i am following this one closely and have bought some Sculpey to see how it handles and am quite happy so far,i might be a polyclay convert soon.

Steve
  12. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    cool! nice to hear that Sniper; i still like Green Stuff but Sculpey is quicker. now i am getting in to Wax so will start a thread on that soon!

the 'Android ' malfunctioned!! :) the left leg was a quarter of a head too long( hate size creep!) but was sucessful in that i improved my anatomical studies and entered a 'Jam'- something i have wanted to do for a while now.
    she 'will be back' ( where have i heard that....?) when i start my next study which i will slot in here. the knock on effect is that the quick fire 90MM i sketched today was evidently better thatn before so large figure make for great study aids.

all the best every-one ---- tim :)
  13. Bad91Fellow Member

Germany
    I found the comic! its "SKY DOLL" by Barbucci and Canepa

[IMG]
  14. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    thankyou!

that looks like some nice art there, thanks Badfellow!

regards -- tim:)