1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Vietnam Bust Finished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

I put in some time at the bench today and finished up the Vietnam Grunt! When I bought this bust I really didn't plan on acctually painting him but more to trade him off as I got him at a bargain price. I throughly enjoyed painting this guy and I learned a lot about painting large areas and dillution of acrylics in the process.

I chickened out with the Graffiti on the helmet and flak vest as I was really happy with how it looked and figured that I would screw it up somehow. The cigarette pack was a pain to paint, and it looks really rough in the pics, its rough but not quite so rough in real life.

All weathering I did was to pastel the flak and helmet a little, not too much with other words. I almost didnt do that, he just lookeds so neat and clean, but I decided to go ahead and do it anyway.

Anyway...here are the pics, let me know how you think it turened out!

This is before the weathering

[IMG]

And After

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And here is the helmet before pastels

[IMG]

After...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great buddy well worth the effort and its paid off, Going from strength to strength.

Robin
  3. jitch0t Member

Spain
    it turned out really nice!! i love it and i save these posts in my hard drive for inspiration in my next bust, can't wait to start it.

Cheers, mate!
  4. Bryon Ray New Member

United-States
    looks good, want to see it at the next meeting.
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Well done Anders! I like the message on the band, very clever. (y)
  6. Grizzly Member

Great job Anders, i'm having a little trouble with the camo on my helemt for my vietnam bust but third time is the charm right? (right??? )
  7. y_wong New Member

What can I say but excellent!

Keep it up
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Terrific job and and amazingly speedy! Puts me to shame as it ususally takkes me 2 years to complete a 54mm.

Colin
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Anders............whats next?
  10. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Nice job Anders.

I want to ask about the resin figures, in general.
    Do they usually have small holes, and "pimples" like those on the back of this bust? I 've done 2 resins so far and on both of them, these problems showed off after priming. And it''s sort o discouraging.

Robert
  11. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Anders,

It looks real good. You did a great job controling the acrylics with the face. If I didn't know bettet, I'd guess you used oils.

Mike
  12. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Anders,

Nice job. I am glad you finished it because I can use it for reference on mine!

Joe
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the comments. Even though it is a pretty simple bust, it is a great deal of fun to paint. Im looking forward to see yours Joe, should be awesome!

As for airbubbles, yeah, resin figures tend to have them, and I was pretty sloppy during clean up and missed quite a few, I didnt see some of them until I painted the green :(.

Thomas,

Keep plowing away with it buddy! You'll get it this time!!
  14. poetwarrior Member

Nice Job Anders!

I like the camo helmet cover and the weathering you did to it. A bust or a figure like this, depicting a grunt in Nam, needs weathering.
    The only criticism I have is the bottle of LSA in the cover band. LSA was a lubricant for weapons used at the time and was contained in a green "poly-plastic" bottle. It was pretty common for troops to tuck it in the band and I suspect that's why Andrea included it on the sculpt, but a bottle of hooch works just as well.

Dave
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Dave!

I didnt have any ref on the bottle, the boxart had a white bottle, so I painted it white also. I just thought it was to plain so I added the X's to add some interest, figured the guy got bored one night and had a pen available so he thought he would be funny and marked the bottle :)

So they should be green? What color would the top be? thanks for pointing it out!
  16. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Anders
    nice paint job, really works.

Frank (y) (y)
  17. rdclaeps New Member

Very nice work Anders. The camo looks great. BTW, how many days did it take for you to paint this?

Roger
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guys :)

Roger,

Lol :) Acctually, counting the first attempt of the second? The first attmpt included, maybe 6 days or so? The second attempt (completely stripped and reprimed) I think I painted on it like 3 or 4 days. Not a speed record, but was fun to do!
  19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,
    Good work, keep it up.

Roc. :)
  20. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Great work Anders!
    I've done a bit of those helmet covers in 1/35th, and they're hard as anything, and i think you've pulled it off perfectly..well done

Keep it up...what's next? :eek:

-Alex