1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Andrea Sniper and base.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by BarrieHynd, Jan 22, 2011.

1. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Got this one for xmas and made a start to it by extending the kit supplied base (the "barrel out the window" didn't appeal to me) so the sniper can be further back from the window.This meant loads of cat litter, putty, balsa strips and stuff from the groundwork box and make part of a wall to the rear of the ruin and add a drain pipe made from a drinking straw. The base is not done as yet, got more to do to it, drybrushing in particular and sorting the drain pipe and adding the snow. The figure itself has been part started so i cuold get a general "feel" for how it would look. Made one of those Russian style furry hats out of magic sculp instead of having the helmet on the figure. Also trying out Acrylics on this one and want to do the splinter cam for the smock and the trousers will be white. Well, thats the plan so it could all change.First proper attempt using acrylics as i use oils mostly.

Barrie.

Attached Files:

2. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent idea to move the figure away from the window. An end to all the 'extended barrel' discussions!

The rubble is very well done!

Looking forward to the rest.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Adding the extra groundwork has added a new perspective.
    Looking forwards to the painting Brian.
    Carl.
    gordy likes this.
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    The groundwork is amazingly realistic, I especially like the scratch-built hat. Wish i could do that!
  5. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Barrie , this is how the figure should have been made in the first place !! Well done n a great job so far , im looking forward to seeing the finished product
  6. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Thanks gents for having a look and leaving comments.
    Michael, it was quite easy to do actually, got the idea from Brian aka "smudger1960".
    Sam, know what you mean, still dont know why Andrea didnt adjust things before producing it.
    Carl, yep think it works so far, still a bit to do though.

Hopefully i will be able to put more wip shots regularly but i aint the quickest unfortunately but i will try. Still learning about these acrylics and as its my first WW2 subject its all learning as i go.

Cheers, Barrie.
  7. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow....super job Barrie....this is going to be a cracker...!!!!!
    Steve
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi!

I´ve seen many awesome works in the past regarding this figure, but all with the same mistake: the rifle beyond the window...:rolleyes:
    Smart move was to put the window away from the K98.(y)
    Following Barrie...
  9. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent set up indeed! Very nice how you reworked the vignette!
    Eddy
  10. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work so far Barrie,I like the changes you have made.

Cheers David
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Barrie,great start with this project mate i am really looking forward to following this project with interest,you mentioned about the camoflauge jacket,this is the one thing i wish i'd done on mine,good luck with the rest of the work mate i'm sure it will be well worth the wait,(y)(y)
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Barrie,
    Like the change with the hat. Great idea.
    Cheers
    John
  13. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hello Barrie, glad to see you have not forgotten your training, the model is looking really good, hope to see it and you at Sword & Lance.
    Remember; from cover, through cover, to cover.
    Great work
    Dennis
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Barrie,

Dennis beat me to it - from cover, through cover, to cover. Hard to forget even after 20 years.

The new position is definitely more realistic for a sniper who wanted to stay alive.

Have you chosen a uniform colour scheme or will you stick with the winter white colours?

Either way, I'll be following your progress with much interest.
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    the additions you have made really do transform this piece and make it really unique, nice idea for the winter hat and groundwork looks excellent.

Steve
  16. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    SRP,Pedro,Eddy,David,Brian,John,1969, thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated.
    Dennis, cheers m8, don't know yet if i will be at S&L but would like to attend very much.
    Tony, thanks and i am wanting to try a slinter cam reversible smock with the trousers staying winter white. You are right though, it is hard to forget even after 20years lol.
    Should have more updates soon have been looking at different pics of camo smocks for this fellow and generally weathering the base before the snow goes onto it.
    Thanks again guys,
    Barrie.
  17. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Quick update on where i am at with this. Have added the snow but will add a bit more later when figre is complete so the two can be tied together. The snow is scenic snowflakes and icy sparkles from http://www.deluxematerials.com

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on how its progressing,

Cheers, Baarrie.

Attached Files:

Dr Force, billyturnip and gothicgeek like this.
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Barrie
    I love the whole scene is fantastic.
    And overall this miniature of the man had an issue with the gun came out of the window (with a few words if he was truly betray its position).
    But I see that the corrections and this is ultimately the issue can not be seen.
    A big bravo and from me

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking good barrie,i think you have just the right amount of snow at present,cant wait to see the figure when he's finished,(y)
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love the icicle on the downspout.
    Carl.