1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea piper

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jim Hockett, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Jim Hockett Member

My latest project. I have been fighting a lot of changes in my eyesight which have certainly made painting a challenge. This is attempt number five. If nothing else I am becoming quite adept at stripping paint! :) Your comments/critiques are welcome.
    Jim
    [IMG]
  2. Brad S Member

Jim

Looks like a good start. I know it will turn out great. I can't wait to see the celt. I've never seen anyone paint lines as thin as yours. Hopefully I will get to see the progress at our next meeting?

Brad Spelts
  3. Jim Hockett Member

Thanks, Brad. Yes I will have it at the next meeting.
    The next step, the red base for the plaid. There is a lot more contrast than shows up in the photo, but I will add some more shading before adding the next color.
    Jim
    [IMG]
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim!

The reds look fantastic! I always love red when it is being painted and you are doing great so far.

Maybe trim the eyes down a little with flesh color under the eye balls.
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

I too have this kit and look forward to seeing how you paint it. Have you decided on which tartan you will be using?

Joe
  6. jaime Member

Spain
    Jim, excelent work. Reds are very good painted. Waiting for more pics

Cheers
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great Jim......I look forward to your next step
  8. Brad S Member

Jim,

The second step looks wonderful with the reds. I actually feel the photo does show the highlight and shadows pretty good. I can tell this is going to be a wonderful figure. Next time I will try some other tricks you mentioned with red, such as using a little green. I meant to say tartan instead of celt and the previous posting. Cant wait to see it at the meeting. I will try to have the warrior bust done by then also.

Brad Spelts
  9. Jim Hockett Member

Anders, you are right about the eyes, especially his right one where I slipped a little, I will fix them. Thanks

Joe, I believe the pattern I settled on is Erskine, but one of the other members of our club has my tartan book right now. I had already settled on the red and green colrs to use, but will have to have reference for the detail stripes (Hey Rich, if you are reading this I need my book so I can continue on) I hope that this one was just a bad casting, but it was hands down the worst Andrea figure I have ever seen. The fit was bad enough that I had to use my Dremel to grind away excess material at the joins for the legs and body. Even after this it still took quite a bit of filler to clean things up. The seams were bad enough that the ears were pretty much obliterated. Hope yours goes together better!

Jaime, Guy, and Brad, thanks for the kind words, hope to have more pics soon.

Jim
  10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Thanks for the heads up. Here is a great source for some free reference. http://www.scottishlion.com/ Ask for both catalogs. There is one just for tartans but the other has some nice gifts. ;)

Joe
  11. Jim Hockett Member

First attempt at the tartan. I'm not very happy with it, still trying to decide whether it would be easier to start over or try clean up the lines. By the way Joe, I was mistaken about the pattern, it is MacPhee. As always comments/critiques welcome.
    Front
    [IMG]
    Rear
    [IMG]
    and a close-up that really shows the flaws :)
    [IMG]

Jim
  12. Hardy Guest

That Tartan looks great :)
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Nice job on the tartan. I look forward to seeing more of this one.

Good job,

Joe
  14. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Are you kidding? :lol:

The tartan looks just fine to me. :)

Keith
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Jim.....Tartan looks like real cloth
  16. jaime Member

Spain
    Excellent work on the tartan
  17. Jim Hockett Member

You guys are too kind! I'm still not very happy with the fine lines in the tartan, but I guess I will just try touching up rather than starting over. I will try to post more pics soon.

Jim
  18. Brad S Member

Jim,
    That looks GREAT! :) I'll have to get some more pointers from you when I get ready to paint some more thin lines. BTW did you find out where the show is at in Ogden? I'm still thinking about going.

Brad Spelts
  19. Jim Hockett Member

Made some more progress. Lots of touch-up still to do and the pipes are just blocked in with color.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Jim................plaids are excellent