1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Andrea Pin up

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jcichon, Apr 12, 2012.

1. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Picked this up recently and wanted some opinions before I go to far. First, as with EVERY Andrea kit I have ever purchased, there are fit issues!! So far I have only used the airbrush for the fleshwork. I base coated the bikini but dont like the dark red so want to go a lot brighter. I have done no brushwork yet to the smaller areas such as the face, hands, and feet. I went super subtle with the skin tones but still not overjoyed with the work so far. I have stripped her 4 times already! SO let me here what you all think. ANy areas you may see that needs some more work, etc. My paint mix is pretty simple:
    Base- Reaper Tanned skin
    High- Base + fair skin (reaper)
    Shadow- Base + Vallejo shadows flesh

Attached Files:

Ineluki, Glen, Jim Patrick and 6 others like this.
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really lke this one Jason. The fleshtones are terrific, I personally would go with too much contrast.
  3. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks. Trying to find a balance of not using too much contrast on a female figure is tough. I may strip this down again and start over with a deeper, richer base color
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Of course my original posting meant to say I would not go with too much contrast:oops: . You are correct painting female fleshtones can be difficult.
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    She is looking pretty good Jason. The only thing that jumped out at me was the highlight on her calf muscle in the second photo. Perhaps a bit too much contrast with the rest of the lower leg. However, I'm not certain if its due to your lighting. In any case, she appears to be comming out nicely ;) . Looking forward to seeing her finished.

Joe
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice so far Jason, are you ok for uniform references? :D

Roger.
  7. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think you're being too hard on yourself, looks pretty good to me. I do however understand that you want to strip it as I myself have stripped and re-painted when others have said it looked good, maybe think about putting it to one side and coming back to it with fresh eyes, you might be satisfied with it then.

Lew J.
  8. Glen Active Member

United-States
    I used to paint a lot of Andrea figures, but gradually stopped due to increasing issues with fit, finish, and casting. I can see surface pitting in your pics - ok with medieval dudes (which I usually paint), but not so much with ladies. If you're looking for a richer female caucasian skin tone, try a 1:1 mix of Reaper's Rosy Shadow and Tanned Skin (adjust from there to your taste). As light as it is, this mix forms your base shadow. Hilight up from there using Pure White or Linen White. If you really need to darken the base, use a bit of Redstone Shadow. A base lip color would be the RS/TS mix with a bit of Dark Red (assuming she's not wearing lipstick). I got the mixes from Reaper's paint mistress herself, so no points for originality...

Slainte,

Glen
  9. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks bro. Your right about their quality and fit. Never been good. I notice the pitting also but there are just too many to fill!!!
  10. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Ah, don't give up to soon! Airbrushing, being so thin, is only going to accentuate the untreated surface texture. Treat her like a car body. Use some putty to fill the bigger divots and some thinned automotive spot putty to skim coat larger areas. When dry, wet sand using 2-3 progressively finer grits. It'll go quickly and you'll have nice smooth babe skin to work on.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    You know Glen, your right. Im not super happy with the paint job so might as well strip it and really do it right. As for the rosy shadow, I dont have but I have rosy flesh from vallejo so I will try that
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    At the risk of sounding like Einion, you can mix any color you will ever need. Don't look at the paint as a strict color, think of it as what you can build with it.
  13. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Yea Mike for sure. You and I have discussed how I want to push the envelope with this kit.