1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

andrea paint sets

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by samson, Nov 27, 2014.

1. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi just getting back to painting after about 3 years and never was really good at mixing colors or color theories which I know I will have to learn to become better. I would like to clean up the stash of plastic models I have as I get into the figure side of things and a sleepy hollow kit as at the top of the pile . That has a lot of black in it 3 yr ago I would have used I shade of black but as I want to get better I don't want to do that would the andrea black paint set be a help on this kit thanks rob
  2. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I've used the white set worked quiet well, guess really its trial and error, as some peoples experience with different paints etc is different from others I absolutely suck at using oils for example, good luck with getting back into the hobby main thing is to enjoy doing it
  3. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree that is why I am trying the figure side of things you can only build so many auto models and the figure hobby has many sizes and directions to try I think I'm OK with the airbrush now it's time to add hand brushing both with acrylic and oils I'm sure to have many questions thanks for your input
  4. sayeret Active Member

Black set can be a good starting point. It can help you to paint this difficult color, even if I don't like lights color of the set... Are too blueish for me...:)

Roberto
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I've been using acrylics for going on 4 years now and find the Andrea paint sets to be quite helpful. Whenever you find someone posting his / her color mixes jot them down in a note book for future use. With time and experience you will be able to mix colors on the fly with out even giving it any thought, and if you find yourself at a standstill scratching your head, then just ask.

Joe
  6. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    totally agree with Joe keep a recipe book
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    You can achieve a good and natural black tone with just 4 colours.
    Black, Black Grey, Violet and light blue very easy to use with excellent results but you have to be careful when you apply the lights to avoid the called Zebra effect.

Cheers
  8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    All the others have given good advice.

With the Andre paint sets, what I found interesting was how their in house painter skipped around the paint steps, rather than follow the formulas rigidly in the little pamphlet attached.

Here is the youtube tutorial on using fleshtones for 'the old fiddler'

(plus there is a section on using inks for the violin, never thought of that till I saw the video)

Short version, back yourself if you feel you need to go and shift the mixtures around, just e prepared for the occasional happy accident (keep the recipe book!) and sometimes something that doesn't quite work.....

Cheers

Jamie
  9. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you all for your opinions tips and info I will indeed keep a notebook of what I am doing both success and failure I might get the set to see the different tones you can get with 1 color keep a bit of all the colors for the future mixing I am almost certain I will have to learn
  10. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Jamie for the link great video